How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in?

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #31  
Well I'll be, they have blue tarps in Siberia... :D

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #32  
I use a WiFi smart plug for the truck and tractors. That way, I plug them in the night before, then they're programed to come on at certain time and only if temps below set point. That way they're not just coming on. It's a great setup for the truck, as it's the "rescue" vehicle for when the DW goes to work. That way it's warmed up and ready for the trailer. I'll also cover the tractors with a tarp to hold heat in. They start a whole lot better than not having that heat. All have block heaters. Tractors need about 2 hrs below freezing and truck needs 3-4 do to engine size! Use what you need to get the job done!

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #33  
Where does one buy one of these? How does it plumb in? To the cab hester piping? Only gets down to -20 here. -40 (not counting wind chill) is pretty rare.
Here we can buy them at any auto parts place. Temro is the most common brand. To plumb them in you need to find 2 points that you can put in pipe adapters. I have connected the bottom ( inlet )one into the block drain by taking out the drain tap and installing a tee fitting. The top ( outlet ) one must connect higher then the bottom one AND must NOT have a loop in it so it is higher then where it connects to the block or it will air lock. They work on the principal of heat rising as the coolant heats it goes up and draws cooler stuff into the bottom.
Check out local auto supply places. Or even Amazon.
Here most tractor bought new have heaters of some sort. The 3130 John Deere's I had came with circulating heaters factory installed .
since I am retired I don't have a tractor handy to take a picture.
They come with good instructions for installing.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #34  
This discussion made me think of this video. Some things are messed up in the translation to English but it is still a really cool video of life in Siberia in the winter.
Nothing new there. That used to be a common procedure in the winter. Perhaps one change was the tarp over the hood and a painful of hot coals under the crankcase. All the cars had those stick on shields on the windows. They did help.

The other solution was to hook up a team of horses and pull the car to start. (No electricity) Or, hook up the team to the sleigh and use that. Horse blankets, hay/straw, foot warmers, felt boots and exceeding warm clothing. Some would have an enclosed area with a wood/coal stove. Those were warm!

Last edited:
   / How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #35  
Also note that synthetic oil has made a huge difference in winter (0F range) starting. Was a time you could barely crank it over without a warmer, not anymore.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #36  
Well, this seems pretty much equivalent to 'How Far Does a Tank of Fuel Go..'

Info - Info - Info _ much of which I skimmed through, I suspect..

Up here in mid-western Canada, when it gets to -40˚C (same as -40˚F) you plug something in the night before you want it to start, and also have EXTRA Battery Power, and maybe a Tiger Torch, and possibly a Heavy Tarp to wrap over the machine too.. Be Prepared

** I say ask your Smart Neighbors, they should know best.. Good Luck

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #37  
i use a heat light under my oil pan and works for me something i can do the night before and has worked for me, Also mounted in a wood box to direct the heat up. Red one like i use in my chicken coup.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #38  
Here is a cold weather starting kink for when you just got to go and it's C O L D.

Electricity required: ;-)

Plug in any engine heater installed on the tractor.
Hook up a 6amp battery charger even if the battery is charged, anything to add energy /heat to the battery.
Play a hot air gun (hair dryer) on the engine air cleaner can and any connecting hoses.
Cycle the glow plugs several times, try for a full minute of heating time.
With the hot air gun blowing right into the air inlet, crank the engine to start.
Disconnect everything ;-)

That heated air for the intake charge really helps.

IF you have time, just heat the engine block as usual........

This kink is for when you are in a hurry.
My old L275 cranked hard in warm weather. When below freezing, it was plug it in or don't use it. Yet I was constantly changing heaters in the lower radiator hose. The last one never worked, and I had changed it when it was 0'F outside. (With my space heater blasting hot air into the work area.)
When I got my 3301 it came with a frost plug heater. That worked just once, so I finally asked here and was told that leaving them plugged in when you start the tractor will ruin them.
Well I'll be, they have blue tarps in Siberia... :D
What's even more surprising is that they don't disintegrate in cold weather.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #39  
I had one of the engine heaters that gets cut into the radiator hose. I would plug it in and hour or two before I wanted to start the tractor and it didn't seem to help at all. Did I need to leave it plugged in longer? Like over night? Was it a junk heater? Do they not really work below O degrees? Should I have had a battery heater?
Hose type heaters will work fine if installed properly and that’s the rub. Many engines don’t have enough space for the hose heater to be installed so its heated coolant is blocked by the thermostat to warm the block. Both of my tractors have this problem. My solution is magnet mount heaters, one on the oil pan and one on the intake manifold. On my diesel engine I have a heater in a radiator hose but plug it in a minute or two before I start and leave it plugged in while I disconnect the others. It helps with the warmup. If outside I use an old blanket over the hood. My tractors are inside now which helps in Wisconsin winters.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #40  
I don't use a heater of any kind and have had no problem
starting Yanmar in cold weather. My Dodge diesel I don't
plug it in but it has a heater in it but never have used it.
When we lived in Wisconsin temps -30F our Rabbit diesel
always started and it was outside

willy
I was going to make the wise a$$ comment to just own a Yanmar but Willy beat me to it.

Yanmars like cold weather.