How long have CUT's had hydro's

/ How long have CUT's had hydro's #21  
Re: How long have CUT\'s had hydro\'s

Sure, both gear tractors and hydros have ROPS. I think the "safety" part of a hydro has more to do with it being more forgiving and easier to use. For example, when I want to stop a hydro tractor I simply stop pushing on the forward pedal. In fact, if I stop paying attention, the pedal will tend to push my foot up for me. On a gear tractor, you have to put the clutch in, worry about what your 3-point attachment is doing ('cause you probably have a two stage clutch), and BTW, make sure you remember that brake thing if you're on a hill.

Not a big deal, most of the time, I must admit. Furthermore, there are advantages to a geared tractor - I'd hate to do the kind of row cultivating my dad did with a geared tractor with my hydro (hour after hour of slow, steady speed under load). But for most people that use a CUT, they are generally not full time operators, and that brake / clutch / hill thing can be pretty dangerous. Most people aren't doing row crop work, and I'll bet these are one hilss more often than not. We're also using them closer to buildings and fences (wanna see how close we can each get our FEL bucket to our car's door without scratching the car? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif), and again, we aren't full time operators.

I guess I think of hydros as safer primarily because they are easier to use. Better? Depends on what you're using them for, and since I do a lot of mowing I'm sure my next (bigger, of course!) tractor will also be hydro.

Just my take on it...Chris

/ How long have CUT's had hydro's #22  

Found out that IHC had begun experimenting with Hydros in 1959. Their first large-scale release was in 1967 with the International 656 (62 PTO HP). Take a look at "International Tractors, 1955-1985" by Ken Updike.

/ How long have CUT's had hydro's

Thank you thats the type of answer I was looking for.

/ How long have CUT's had hydro's #24  

Just as an FYI, HST-driven combines have been around a long time. In fact, finding a gear-driven one is kinda' rare. Despite the inefficiencies, HST is utilized exclusively to drive even the highest horsepower Class VII combines. You'd be amazed at how precisely you can manuever one of those behemoths with just a steering wheel and singel HST lever.

Later,
Jay

/ How long have CUT's had hydro's #25  

You're absolutely right. Deere and IH had hydro combines long before they had hydro tractors.

/ How long have CUT's had hydro's #26  

So there is no excuse for hydros not being available in the utility and ag tractors like the Kubota M series and the JD 5000 and up.

I'm waiting.

Do the hydrostatic combines have a seperate hydraulic motor for each drive wheel? Or is it a standard driven axle arrangement?

/ How long have CUT's had hydro's #28  

I think the pump was connected between the engine and a hydraulic motor. The hydraulic motor then ran the final drive. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken (never had one apart to look at).
Also, there is no reason why utility tractors are not hydrostatic!

In answer to why shouldn't utility tractors be equipped with hydrostactic drives. The Case 480 and Ford/New Holland 455 have hydro's, and they are considered an industrial utility Series.