How many animal lovers are there besides...

/ How many animal lovers are there besides... #11  
I feel your pain. You have my deepest sympathies. We had to put one of our dogs down yesterday morning. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor about six weeks ago. My wife ( a nurse) took care of Snowie nursing her through her bad days so that she could enjoy her good ones. Half or more of her days were good ones. Sunday night she snapped and Monday night she was seizureing so bad we took her into the vet college small animal clinic at 3 AM to put her to sleep. My wife got Snowie at 1 year of age and had her for nearly 16 years. I didn't know just how badly I would be affected by her loss. It's bad. My wife is devastated. We don't have kids so we love them like they are our children.

Last edited:
   / How many animal lovers are there besides... #12  
I had to go through the same thing with a 16+ year old lab mix, "Scooter". He was my buddy, everywhere I went he was ready to ride. He was diagnosed with a tumor in his spine and he lost the use of his rear legs quickly. The vet said surgery was an option but strongly advised against it due to his age and a preexisting heart murmur. That is the only time I have cried in the last 20 years. I took him home and buried him and swore I'd never get another dog, I just couldn't go through that again. Coincidentally it happened to be "National Adopt a Pet Week" the following week and I ended up at the shelter getting my new buddy "Rusty" He has been in the family the last 7 years or so and is a great friend.
I know exactly how you feel and time will help. It is a tough thing to go through and a lot of non pet owners will never understand what it's like. Best wishes to you and your amily through these tough times.
Sincerely,
John

/ How many animal lovers are there besides... #13  
Our baby was put down on June 13th 2005 and we haven't replaced her. She was 16-1/2 years old and such a big part of our everyday lives. The wife thinks she is ready for another pet but she tied us down so much (she was spoiled rotten, got mad if we left her for anything but work, yes she knew the difference!!) We took her everywhere we went, if she wasn't welcome-we wouldn't go-anywhere. We still miss her very much and understand what you'll be going through. Sorry for your loss.

/ How many animal lovers are there besides... #14  
I hope she's in a better place now. You did the best thing for her.

My ex wife made me hate animals. The anguish we always went through made it hard to love them anymore. I enjoy the neighbors animals enough to be happy with them going home at some point.

Someday I hope I can have a pooch of my own again. But not right now.

/ How many animal lovers are there besides... #15  
I feel for you.
We have a 13 year old lab mix also. Hes always been an athletic dog. It just kills me to see him slowing down as he ages. I know the day will come that I will have to make the decision. I only hope I have the courage to do what needs to be done. As I sit here thinking about it, I seriously doubt I will.