How many holes in your loader bucket???

/ How many holes in your loader bucket??? #11  
The holes are for a bolt on edge. I opted not to have one. The thicker cutting edge will not cut as well, the bolts hang up material but if your dragging the bucket on material like asphalt, concrete for snow removal etc., it would be an asset. I did not. I did use a toothbar that increased my heaped capacity considerably. I had the same tractor and after hundreds of hours with lots of loader use had no obvious signs of the bucket wearing. If I did, I still would have the option of adding the cutting edge later.

/ How many holes in your loader bucket??? #12  
I worried about wearing the bucket edge, thought about a bolt on, then learned about tooth bars, got one... superb investment, increases capacity much more than a bolt on would do, makes digging 10 times easier than a bolt on edge would do, can be removed if I need the smooth edge for some reason, strengthens immesurably the bucket edge, just like the bolt on would do, finally, protects the existing edge. I just can't see that the regular edge will ever wear out with the tooth bar attached.

/ How many holes in your loader bucket???
Rat & texasjohn,
Tooth Bar -- had not thought about going that route. That's the power of using this board with input from so many others.
That sounds like a better option for me. While I will do some digging, I also have horse manure to move, tree clean-up, and "stuff" to haul.
Looks like texasjohn has a JD tooth bar. Not sure what Rat had.
Are they the kind that use two bolts through the side of the bucket?
Any idea of approx cost for a 72"?
Thanks,
KW

/ How many holes in your loader bucket??? #14  
try Markham Welding - Home you won't find a better deal on a quality toothbar. I recently priced a 60" w/ 6 teeth for $275 delivered. Each extra tooth is $26 - so figure $300 - $325 for a 72" bucket depending on how many teeth you want.

/ How many holes in your loader bucket??? #15  
I bought mine from Carvers. I don't know who made it, it was very well made. The toothbar does attach at the sides with 3/4" bolts. The bolts for the most part keep the bar in place while the bar has a nice v groove pinch connection that really ties it in well to the existing cutting edge. The teeth are replaceable. When I sold my L3830, some of the teeth were due for a replacement. The bar works very good for many things. I liked it best for its ability to pull brush, roots, rocks out of the soil. It was valuable in digging, adds to the heaped quantitiy you can carry.

/ How many holes in your loader bucket??? #16  
Yep, mine is a JD toothbar. I looked at and priced Markham, others via the net, etc. Then, happened to call local dealers to see what their prices. JD dealer had several in stock... sold me one that fit my bucket with about .5 inch to spare... a few washers and the fit is extremelly snug. JD toothbar weighs 139 lbs.... truly heavy.... and, it was cheaper than any alternative, for me, when shipping was included. Check around, ask for weight of each toothbar you look at, number of teeth, price... the toothbar DOES strengthen the bucket lip very, very much although it does also reduce the max payload carry weight. Likely, this is not an issue. It hasn't been with me.

I can't recommend a toothbar too much.

Local dealer allowed me to take home and make sure it would fit inside my bucket prior to purchase. Drill a hole in each side of bucket and bolt in place. Some folks swear that they love the idea of placing the holes such that it can be slid forward then flipped up and back into the bucket, allowing bolts to be retightened, then use bucket with smooth edge. I tried this once, but just don't see it. It's too easy to remove/add... just loosen the two bolts/locknuts/washers and you are done.. takes about 5 minutes to go either way, in my case. I carry a large crescent wrench and a break over handle with proper socket on it in my tractor tool box for removal/replacement in the field.