How many hours are too many?

/ How many hours are too many? #1  

gregfender

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST
I found a great deal on a Kioti CK35HST. The only downside is it has 853 hours. It looks like it has been very well maintained. When does a tractor start showing its age in hours? I am also looking at a CK27 gear with only 150 hours for just a little more. I just like the idea of the HST and extra hp. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
   / How many hours are too many? #2  
Less then 1000 Hrs isn't even broken in yet.
If it is a good price, GET IT.

That tractor should be good for 10000+ Hrs with basic maintance.

Enjoy it.

/ How many hours are too many? #3  
Less then 1000 Hrs isn't even broken in yet.
If it is a good price, GET IT.

That tractor should be good for 10000+ Hrs with basic maintance.

Enjoy it.

Yep, this is correct ^^^. That tractor is just getting started on years of service if properly maintained. Keep it under cover, easy does it and do all the service.

/ How many hours are too many? #4  
My 4320 had 830 hours on it when I bought it, gave what I could have bought a brand new 1533 for lol.

Just bought a JD 455 with 1100 hours on it.

The 455 is a 3-4K hour machine, the 4320 will last longer than I will live with my needs, seriously I did the math on my usage per year, it will take me over 100 years to hit 8k hours and that’s not even wore out, it’s good for more than that. I’m 27 years old and will be most likely passing both machines down to my kids after I can no longer use them, granted if neither have major component failures that would turn them to scrap.

I rack up 40-75 hours per year on the tractor and around 35 hours a year on the garden tractor.

Obviously I’m not concerned about 800-1200 hours on a Diesel engine. Heck if it’s a liquid cooled gasser I wouldn’t call them high hours until they bust over 2k hours. Old onan air cooled engines are 2-3k engines like what’s in the JD 318.

/ How many hours are too many? #5  
When trying to sell a 2011 BX25 with 1500 HRs on it I determined that the used market thinks that is too many hours. Naturally at 1500 hours it shows cosmetically. I had offers at 30-40% below the price of new; even one at 50%.. Comments as to why the answer was too many hours. I am finding that BXs with less than 500 hours are selling fast at 10-15% under price of new. I still have it.

Ron

/ How many hours are too many? #6  
When trying to sell a 2011 BX25 with 1500 HRs on it I determined that the used market thinks that is too many hours. Naturally at 1500 hours it shows cosmetically. I had offers at 30-40% below the price of new; even one at 50%.. Comments as to why the answer was too many hours. I am finding that BXs with less than 500 hours are selling fast at 10-15% under price of new. I still have it. Ron

Wow, Ron, that is ridiculous. Your BX25 is still young! I'm never selling my 2009 BX25. (It has maybe 700 hours or so.)

/ How many hours are too many? #7  
I kept my first tractor - Ford 1700, 4WD - for 27 years. Had 2100 hours when I traded for current brand new 2009 Kubota M6040. Had NO PROBLEMS getting 75% of original price for the Ford.

/ How many hours are too many? #8  
Almost 3,700 hours on my Ford 1600 and 2,200 on my Ford 1710.... I would not be worried at all about 853 hours. What I would pay very close attention to is the condition of the HST in that Kioti. It may be in perfect working order. But...have seen lots of people who have a HST and do everything in High range, better believe that will wear it out. There is good reason for Low and Medium. Very loud whining would be a red flag and probably a deal breaker for me.

/ How many hours are too many? #9  
I bought a IH574 RC tractor with 3200 hours on it and used it for 10 years with no engine problems. Sold it for what I bought it for. Put about 150 hr/year on it. Did have to change a clutch.

/ How many hours are too many? #10  
Wow, Ron, that is ridiculous. Your BX25 is still young! I'm never selling my 2009 BX25. (It has maybe 700 hours or so.)

I hazard a guess that: gentleman farmers with small lots sell their SCUTS like the do their cars; always have to have the new model, so their tractor is not even broke in when they sell by age not hours. Most SCUTS on Craigs List have from 100-200 hours max, many are at 50. Yuppies have moved in. I had over 25 inquiries when the add was going.

Ron