How many hours is a lot of hours...?

/ How many hours is a lot of hours...? #31  
To me it depends on how reliable you want it to be, how mechanically inclined are you, are parts and dealers still around for the model your buying. Is all the safety features working? I am looking at mini excavators and I would buy one with 10,000 hours if its new-ish, parts are available and has a good written history of maintenance. Of course the price has to fit the hours on it-at 10,000 hours I wouldnt pay more than 7 grand.

/ How many hours is a lot of hours...? #32  
There are some interesting observations in this thread. When I was in the industry I made these observations.

1. High horsepower tractor usage hours were comparable to 40 miles per hour on heavy trucks.
2. Farmers in the south would claim 700 - 800 hours per crop for high HP tractors, with 2 crops per year for 1400 - 1600 hours per year.
3. A tank of fuel should last an 8 - 10 hour work day, and a quart of oil consumption per tank was acceptable. Add a quart for a turbo.
4. Lower HP tractor owners were less generous in their expectations.
5. Our engine design engineers targeted a 10,000 hour design life for high HP engines.

The make of the tractor had little to do with customer expectations and satisfaction. The servicing dealer was much more important to the perceived quality of the tractor. This still holds true today, and was always my recommendation as to what make to buy.

/ How many hours is a lot of hours...? #33  
I also would consider whether it's been stored inside or outside. Sunlight really destroys things such as tires and any plastics or exposed wires.

/ How many hours is a lot of hours...? #34  
I also would consider whether it's been stored inside or outside. Sunlight really destroys things such as tires and any plastics or exposed wires.

Tell me about it. I keep mine (Kubota's) inside all the time and the paint still faded to Mary Kay pink.......:laughing:

/ How many hours is a lot of hours...? #35  
^^^ pink? What kind of UV do you have back there? Pictures?

/ How many hours is a lot of hours...? #37  
I had my b7800 for 11 years with a mechanical tach that counted hours based on RPM. put about 40-50 hrs a year on it. My L4740 has a clock time Hour meter and I have put 100hrs on it my first year.

/ How many hours is a lot of hours...? #38  

Attachments

• t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
   / How many hours is a lot of hours...? #39  
The lid on my M is not photogenic either but it is pink

Not even gonna tell you what the whole goods price on that is other than to say, save your pennies and yes, it's pink, just like the fenders and cab roof on my M's. Must be something in the paint.....:laughing:

/ How many hours is a lot of hours...? #40  
Interestingly, my spare haybine is a JD and it too has faded from JD Green to Lima Bean green.