Price Check How many hours is too many? Cat 416

/ How many hours is too many? Cat 416
Just looking some more and one of the dealers that I've used the most finally put this Ford 555D up. When they got it it had transmission problems and last time I talked to them they said they were taking it into the shop to work on it. They've updated the pictures and the price, still says it doesn't drive though, I don't know if it's because they forgot to change it or if they didn't fix it but they're asking about $5000 more for it now so I think they've done something. 2wd and a std hoe but has lower hours is 5 years newer and is only $10500 for a 1995.

Here's the machinery trader listing;

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8030329&lp=MAT

Pretty good deal for that new of a tractor. Which way would you lean in my situation? The Ford still has 8200 hours which is still a lot but 2000 less than the Cat and 5 years newer and $6000 less.

Any thoughts?

/ How many hours is too many? Cat 416 #12  
I would rather buy one that I could operate and check out fully for problems. I would inspect and check out the Cat and if it seems okay offer 13k for it and see what happens.

I'll definitely be stopping by the dealer this week. Can practically walk to it from my house. I really don't want to get anything till spring unless it's the perfect tractor at the perfect price as I won't be able to use it much with winter coming up but this is real close to what I want.

/ How many hours is too many? Cat 416 #14  
Unless you enjoy wrenching, I wouldn't touch a machine with that many hours on it. It's wore out and then some. You might get a day or two out of it, but it's going to break down on you, and something that old and with that many hours means that as soon as you fix one thing, another thing will break.

Hoses and cylinders are simple, easy and affordable to repair. I wouldn't even look at those other then to see if they are in good repair and not modified in any way.

The hydraulic pump is something you can't really test, and it's what will cost a fortune to replace or rebuild. The engine is close to being done if original. Can you rebuild it? What will it cost to rebuild it? How will you get the block out of it and to the machine shop? The transmission is probably fairly slopy by now, but the lest likely to fail on you. It's plenty worn out, but usually pretty bullet proof.

Everything else is cosmetic. How deep are your pockets to keep it running and how much time do you have to work on it?

Eddie

/ How many hours is too many? Cat 416 #16  
As said hours are less important than the overall condition of the machine, I drive a 1998 CAT 426c on snow removal 7 days a week all winter that has almost 13'000 on it and it gives few problems .
I would rather a JCB though :)

/ How many hours is too many? Cat 416 #17  
If you want a good backhoe for a good price find a B series their very good and strong. Only problem with the original 416 is the rear boom does not hold up nor lift much, we actually still have a 416b, and then a 416c and 416d, all hold up very well, now for the 416 watch for slop in all the pins, u joints for the fwd tend to break easily, the price now seems a little steep so keep looking but for your use you should be fine, but try to look for a 416B with the newer style boom (banana boom as they call it) you should be able to find a 416b with cab, 4wd, extenda-hoe with about 4500-6500 hrs for about 20k

/ How many hours is too many? Cat 416 #18  
I know that you're wanting to do this yourself, but I have to ask, are you really going to save any money? Have you ever owned or operated anything like this? Do you have any idea how much it cost to rebuild that engine or transmission? How about just the cost of one rear tire?

Have you checked with a contractor to see how much it would cost to have the work done? My cousin gets $90/hour for a CAT 320 excavator. (big trackhoe) That's less than $1000/day for a machine that can probably do more in a few hours than the rubber tire hoe can do in a week.

Fifteen years ago, I had a Case 580 Super E 4x4. It was a really good machine with about 3000 hours on it. I went into a different line of work. I sold it, along with my bulldozer and dumptruck. One reason was to finance my new business venture, but the other was it is hard to justify keeping those kind of "toys" around, just in case.

Now, if you're just trying to justify this to your wife, let us know. I'm sure we can talk her into it. :D

/ How many hours is too many? Cat 416 #19  
Have you found yourself a backhoe yet?

I am looking for a JD 110. I decided a full size would just be too big for going through my woods. No doubt it would do more work faster but I think it would be a little inconvenient. So I think I've found a 110 that will work for me, trying to get rid of some stuff right now to get it though.

Here's the thread, be warned though it is a long one!
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...949-john-deere-110-vs-kubota.html#post2615246