How many hours is too many hours?

/ How many hours is too many hours? #1  

Elkins45

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
Please excuse me because I'm a complete noob when it comes to tractors. I'm going this afternoon to look at an International 444 that has 4200 hours on it. I did a little calculating trying to relate that to car miles and figured that an average of 60MPH that would be the auto equivalent of a car with 250,000 miles on it. That sounds pretty worn out to me, but what do I know?

At what point is a tractor considered 'worn out'?

/ How many hours is too many hours? #2  
Your comparison seems fairly accurate, but as with cars, there are those with a quarter million miles you might take a chance on buying, and others you wouldn't touch. Same thing here. Would you buy a late 60's - early 70's car to be your everyday driver?

The question to ask yourself is how much money would you really give for such a machine? Would you rather put that money, and the money it is going to take in repairs, toward something newer? Are you getting for it free? What about the time and skill it is going to take keeping such a machine useful to you?

Do you have the money, time and knowledge, shop and tools necessary? Do you have access to the parts?

All these are questions you will have to sort through in the decision making process.

/ How many hours is too many hours? #3  
To me what matters most is how they were taken care of, more so than the hours. Also, one of the worst things for any type of equipment is for it to sit around unused. This causes seals to dry up and crack, corrosion on internal components, fuel systems fouling up, hoses, belts and tires to dry rot, etc (this also partially has to do with age.) I personally would rather take a higher hour tractor that gets used often but is well taken care of than a 20yr old tractor with 500hrs on it.

We have an IH 454 diesel that has 7000+hrs on it. We got it with around 3000hrs in the early '80s and it had been run into the ground by it's previous owner. Installed a new set of brakes and clutch and it has been doing well ever since.

We also have a 2550 Deere that is about 25yrs old but only has about 2500hrs on it. I would consider it a pretty low hour tractor, but we have had to replace a few seals, hoses, etc due to it's age, not due to the number of hours.

At the top end of the scale, my uncle has a couple Allis-Chalmers with between 20,000-30,000hrs on them, a D-17 series IV and a 170, both gas powered. Ofcourse they have had a few overhauls throughout the years, new brakes, clutches, etc, but if you are willing to maintain a tractor it will last virtually forever.

/ How many hours is too many hours? #4  
You didn't state if it is a gas or diesel which will make a difference. I am not sure you can make a direct comparison to cars. Several people on here have perfectly reliable Ford Jubilees well over 50 years old. I have one as well as a 55 model 600. Our Case was made in the mid 60's and runs like a top. A better comparison might be a truck.

A consideration not mentioned is how much you will use it. Some on here put less than a hundred hours on a tractor in which case an older tractor will last a long time.

If you are not familiar with what to look for, take a friend or have a mechanic check it out if possible.

/ How many hours is too many hours? #5  
My CaseIH 5088 has almost 7500 hrs on it and i wouldnt trade it for anything. Like others have said it depends on how it was taken care of. Mine gets regular maintance every year and is still running strong.

/ How many hours is too many hours? #6  
IMO it depends on how handy you are mechanically and how long you plan to have the tractor. Parts availability may be a factor, if not now then 10 years from now.

My high number when shopping was 1500 hours, and I plan to use mine for the next 25 years, average of maybe 100 hours a year or less.

If you knew the owner and what kind of hours those were, it's easier to make an informed decision. If it's been idling for 3000 hours, not so good a deal. Running a water pump or pulling a rotary cutter over smooth ground 8 hours a day is a different story again. Either way, the engine has been over the hill and seen the elephant, so to speak.

Personally, I'd pass, but that's just me.

Sean

/ How many hours is too many hours? #7  
Please excuse me because I'm a complete noob when it comes to tractors. I'm going this afternoon to look at an International 444 that has 4200 hours on it. I did a little calculating trying to relate that to car miles and figured that an average of 60MPH that would be the auto equivalent of a car with 250,000 miles on it. That sounds pretty worn out to me, but what do I know?
I had a IH 444 (gas) that was Dad's ... unfortunately the tractor sat outside for many years and got rusted up pretty bad ... but it was maintained as far as fluids and so forth.

At one point I thought about restoring it and pulled the oil pan off to repaint it. Had a look up into engine - the entire thing was painted inside, except for the bores, which looked perfect - you could still see the cross-hatching from the factory on the cylinder walls .... it had around 4000 hours on it at the time, IIRC.

Many of those hours were pretty hard - I drove it as kid :D

Good piece of equipment .... wish I had had enough sense to take better care of it when I was younger .... I'd probably still have it.

/ How many hours is too many hours? #8  
The old 'Nashers will probably do 10,000 hours with little more than an oil change every thousand hours or so.

They were designed to work, on a farm.

It will already be at least 35 years old - and will probably do another 50 years yet.

There is so little to go wrong on these old heavy irons - no electrics, no HSTs, few hydraulics. Maybe it will need a starter motor when it gets to 8 thousand hours, maybe a water pump over haul. But 4000 hours is just nicely run in. If you pop the gearbox cover off - I bet the paint will still be good as new in there.

To put it in perspective - my neighbour is a chicken shed cleaning contractor. He runs a fleet of about 15 MF 135s, which are of similar age and design to the 444.

Some of them are well north of 40,000 hours. Most common wearing item is front tires because of constant turning on concrete surfaces. Fronts need replacing about every 3 months. Between his entire fleet including spares - hes getting on to half a million hours.

Modern compact tractors however, tend to be pretty finished by the time they get to 3000 hours or so. But that will take 30 years at 100 hours a year.

But modern farm tractors from 1990s onwards - are still going today and many are now pushing 10 - 15,000 hours.

/ How many hours is too many hours? #9  
I think after a bout 7000hrs the value starts to drop but i've bought them with over 10'000 and had no more trouble with them. I think with a little tractor like the nasher hours are irrellevant as most have not had clocks working for years but theres very little to go wrong and nothing that can't be done at home .
Like my old D7 , Clock says 13'000 but has'nt worked since i've had it , Could be 30'000 for all i know but no trouble at all !

/ How many hours is too many hours? #10  
I am new to tractors. Well, I bought my first last October. Found it on Craigslist.

The tractor had 2500 hours on it and I went back and forth with the seller, who was asking $10,500. Pictures looked great for a 1992. He finally said to me..."You've got to come look at the tractor." So, I did. I was awed by the condition. He said..."There are no issues. Everything works as it should."

I bought it for $9600 and I couldn't be happier. I have an "older" machine, John Deere no less, in excellent condition....now with 2600 hours. Minor. I have complete confidence in the tractor.

Maintenance is everything. Now, that is my challenge...to keep the tractor in the condition that it is in (fantastic) and work it on my 2 acres when needed...mostly to blow snow and lug firewood and maintain 200' of driveway. I have used the tractor for things I never thought I would and it is a perfect fit...for me.

Know what you're buying and be clear on it's intended uses.