How many hours should a NEW tractor have?

/ How many hours should a NEW tractor have? #11  
"Normally 8 hours on the dyno" sounds very wrong to me and would add a further suspicion that not only was the dealer lying about the hours, but the salesman like to lie his way out of situations. Fortunately, from here on out, you'll be dealing with the service manager, not the salesman...

/ How many hours should a NEW tractor have? #12  
Yep, same for new Deere's. My 990 came with .3 right from the flatbed. I don't buy into that whole dynoed for 8 hours. Seems way too high. When the mechanics put a used tractor on the dyno it's only for 10-15 minutes. I don't see what 8 hours is going to tell you about the machine. Is there any grass clipping under the mower of any signs of wear on the paint. How does the tractor look any scratches, dings, seat discolored ?

/ How many hours should a NEW tractor have? #13  
No offense, but unless you find other problems with the tractor, I just wouldn't get excited over 14 hours.

/ How many hours should a NEW tractor have? #14  
My tractor had less than an hour on the meter when it was delivered...

/ How many hours should a NEW tractor have? #15  
In the grand scheme of things, 14 hours is probably not going to matter much to the tractor but I would worry more about the dealer that thinks that is normal. At least they seem interested in repairing the relationship.

FYI: Mine came with 0001 mile, and some of that was them showing me how to operate it at their lot before they delivered it. Now, I hardly remember those first 14 miles.

/ How many hours should a NEW tractor have? #16  
14 hours is a lot for "new" but in the grand scheme of things not a huge deal. I've put 14 hours on mine in 1 weekend.

Get the dealer to give you the 50 hour service for free or maybe a slip clutch for the rotary cutter - you're going to want that. If I remember correctly the class III don't have a clutch & can engage the PTO abruptly, shearing the bolt. When you do replace the bolt - engage the PTO at idle speed & then ramp it up to 540 rpm.

Don't lose sleep over it especially if the machine is in otherwise good shape & it seems that the dealer is responsive.

/ How many hours should a NEW tractor have?
Folks,
I really appreciate all your thoughts. My salesperson will be back in tomorrow and I will have a conversation with him then. I originally picked this dealership after meeting with the other New Holland dealer in the area because this one had 5 locations, did a lot of ag stuff and had service vehicles on the road all the time. It seems that the opinions are mixed on how to handle this one. I pride myself on being a reasonable person and will give the dealership the opportunity to make me feel good about them again. They have given me the impression that they care a lot about the transaction. The person who dropped off the tractor said that if I did not feel completely satisfied with how things are being handled that I should speak with the president of the company and that he was a guy who certainly cared about customer service. I will give them the benefit of the doubt until I hear otherwise. I will give you an update tomorrow, since I feel part of the brotherhood now.

Until then, here are some pictures of the tractor I took this evening. In the seat are my 3 year old son and 2 year old daughter who are huge fans.

You will see my 4n1 bucket in the picture. I must say that it is increadibly useful, and have been very impressed with the quality. Opening the bucket I really can cut and use it like a dozer. I created some huge piles of brush this evening. I can event grab them and just pull them out of the ground as well. Thanks for all your thoughts.
Larry

Attachments

• 327346-Dsc03287as.jpg
    327346-Dsc03287as.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 327
   / How many hours should a NEW tractor have? #18  
Assuming you ordered a "new" truck from the factory. It gets delivered to your dealer who cleans it up, slaps on their decals and front tag, calls you, and you take delivery. It should have less than 5 miles.

14 hours at an average of 40 MPH comes out to 560 miles. If my "new" truck was delivered with 560 miles on it, I'd blow a gasket.

A tractor is admittedly different. But the dealer needs to be truthful about the hours and apply some type of discount or service to make it right.

/ How many hours should a NEW tractor have? #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( No offense, but unless you find other problems with the tractor, I just wouldn't get excited over 14 hours )</font>

So are you saying if you went to your local car dealer and ordered the dream car you always wanted because it was not in stock,waited patiently dreaming about your first drive. Then after the agonizing wait you get the call, your car is in fresh from the factory! You rush to the dealer jump in the seat look down at the odometer and see 1400 miles on it. Are you telling me you would not be ripped.

Ok it may not be a perfect analogy. But when a dealer makes outlandish statements about 8 hour dyno's they undermine your confidence in them. Not to mention insulting the intellegence of a customer. The hours are insignificant its the dealers explination that is not.

/ How many hours should a NEW tractor have? #20  
I tend to agree that 14 hours is not a lot to get worried about, though would be more concerned with the saleman and his truthfulness. My dealer keeps a service file on all the tractors he sells. Ask you salesperson to show you the results of the dyno test.

Paul