A lot depends on;

The total time on the engine.

How often the oil is changed.

If the oil is drained cold or hot.

If you use a engine flush.

Do you let the oil drain over night?

Filters will not take out the carbon.

/ How many minutes on this oil?
Well,good thing we ain't got dipsticks on bottom cause we would all change oil twice each time,wouldn't we..

I know if I had just purchased a used tractor and decided to drain some oil out to check, going solely on appearance, I would have thought it's been a while since the previous owner changed the oil!

Last edited:
   / How many minutes on this oil? #13  
yep.. some soot up fast.. especially if the new oil has good detergents, and there was enough of the old oil left in there.

soundguy

/ How many minutes on this oil? #14  
If it had been an older two stroke Detroit diesel much of it would have leaked out by the time you returned!

/ How many minutes on this oil? #15  
or it would have sucked and burned it's own juices...

I have a ford 3000, from 68.. when i got it looked like original oil... I cheged the oil, and it was coal black the first moment it circulated thru the block. took another oil change a few hours later after getting her warm, to clean her out so she didn't soot up in 5 minutes.. :)

soundguy

/ How many minutes on this oil?
yep.. some soot up fast.. especially if the new oil has good detergents, and there was enough of the old oil left in there.

soundguy

I'm going to hold onto this jar of used oil just to see how long it takes for the soot to settle out of suspension from the oil.

/ How many minutes on this oil? #17  
i hope you got alot of patients..

soundguy

/ How many minutes on this oil? #18  
Modern motor oils are formulated to suspend things in the oil so they will drain with the oil.