How Many RPMs When Mowing

/ How Many RPMs When Mowing #1  

ttammag

Tractor
2010 John Deere 2520
I just tried out my new 2520 with the MMM yesterday. The mid PTO is supposed to be rated for 2000 RPMs. It seemed to mow fine at a slightly lower throttle, say 1600. This is my first tractor so I'm a newbe. Everything else I've used is gas powered riding mowers.

Those of you with the MMM, what kind of trottle do you set for mowing?

/ How Many RPMs When Mowing #2  
:welcome:
Throttle setting is what I'm comfortable with and what leaves a good cut on the grass. Sharp blades are important and keeping a clean under-deck helps too.

Mow at your 1600 if you like that and you are happy with the cut. ;)

/ How Many RPMs When Mowing #3  
I think you might be getting confused between engine rpm a PTO rpm, a mid PTO has a max speed of 2000rpm, however to achieve this your engine rpm will probably be around say 2500rpm ( this will vary with different tractors ) on the dash of your tractor there will be a mark showing what engine rpm you need to be set on to achieve this 2000rpm on the mid PTO, you will find same point will probably also give you 540 rpm on the rear PTO. All
This said however, you don't need to run a mmm at full rpm, however a higher tip speed will give a cleaner cut. The difference will also be much more noticeable in thick/ long grass.

/ How Many RPMs When Mowing
That makes more sense. You're correct, I was confusing the two. Thanks for the excellent explaination.

/ How Many RPMs When Mowing #5  
I just tried out my new 2520 with the MMM yesterday. The mid PTO is supposed to be rated for 2000 RPMs. It seemed to mow fine at a slightly lower throttle, say 1600. This is my first tractor so I'm a newbe. Everything else I've used is gas powered riding mowers.

Those of you with the MMM, what kind of trottle do you set for mowing?

Welcome and congrats on the new 2520. Not to be picky but your mid pto is rated 2100 rpm's at 2600 engine rpm's. Now with that said you will not have full tip speed on your blades at lower rpm's but as long as you are getting a good cut and it is discharging the grass out ok than you should be fine with whatever rpm you want to mow at. You can always look back and see your cut and adjust the rpm's as you need.

I personally mow at 2600 rpm's as I want the tip speed because I want to be able to travel faster and still get a good cut.

/ How Many RPMs When Mowing #6  
I have also tried at different rpm and it work better for me at the recommended PTO 540 RPM. The reason being that the front wheel will flatten the grass and a slower blade RPM will not lift the grass enough for a clean cut.

/ How Many RPMs When Mowing #7  
however a higher tip speed will give a cleaner cut. The difference will also be much more noticeable in thick/ long grass.
+1:thumbsup:

I personally mow at 2600 rpm's as I want the tip speed because I want to be able to travel faster and still get a good cut

+1:thumbsup: