Ballast How Much Ballast

/ How Much Ballast
:)TractorData.com specs your Montana/LS R2844 bare tractor weight at 2,645 pounds. Loader adds more forward weight.
TractorData.com Montana R2844 tractor information

It seems improbable a 2,645 pound tractor could lift 2,360 pounds to 59". Is your tractor model correctly shown?

( I have been wrong from time-to-time; maybe again.) :)

The lift specs are from Montana's website for the model 100 loader. They used this loader on tractors up to 45 HP.

Manufacturer Montana Tractors
Model 100

DIMENSIONS
Bucket Height 60.3 in.
Bucket Width 66 in.
MEASUREMENTS
Bucket Capacity 9 cu. ft.
Lift Capacity 1,585 lbs.(at max. height)
2,360 lbs. (to 59 in.)
Lift Height Maximum: 93 in.
Level Bucket: 86 in.
Clearance 75.8 in. (dumped, from hood)
Dump Angle 24°
Reach Height Dumped (at max. angle): 45.8 in.
Ground Level: 67 in.
Attachment Rollback 18° (ground level)
Dig Depth 3 in.
Operating Speed Raise: 5 sec.
Lower: 3 sec.
Dump: 3.6 sec.
Rollback: 2.4 sec.

Tractor weighs 2600lbs, loader another 700, my rear wheels are loaded, so that adds another 450 lbs or so and then the 650 for the tiller. Total 4400lbs. I know I can lift 1500 lbs, do it all the time with the firewood. Back end feels very light when I do it, which is why I am asking about more rear ballast.

/ How Much Ballast
Also if you have a bush hog use that instead. The length will act as a lever and give you effectively more weight on the back. Of course you then have to account for the extra length and if you are working in close spaces that might not be a good thing. My NH will only lift about 1000 lbs. The bush hog weighs in at around 500lbs. But with the advantage of leverage it does a good job keeping the rear tires planted.

I will have to try that. I have a Bush Hog Squealer 60 mower. Thanks!

/ How Much Ballast #13  
View attachment 515884

This is how my tractor is setup right now. The rear tires have 1500# of Rimguard and the rear blade is 1000#. The amount a tractor can safely lift is based upon many things - weight in front of and behind the front axle, weight in the rear tires and weight behind the rear axle. The environmental conditions are just as important also - slope, traction, terrain etc. Most tractor will pivot on the front axle - be very careful when lifting heavy loads.

As the tractor sits in the pic it weight 10,100#.

/ How Much Ballast #14  
Tractor weighs 2600lbs, loader another 700, my rear wheels are loaded, so that adds another 450 lbs or so and then the 650 for the tiller. Total 4400lbs. I know I can lift 1500 lbs, do it all the time with the firewood. Back end feels very light when I do it, which is why I am asking about more rear ballast.

Even if your loader can handle more than 1500#, if it is getting light in the rear it is going to take a toll on your front components and even if you load the rear up enough to balance it, I suspect more than #1500 is going to take its toll anyway.

I've got a front bevel gear seal gone bad from just that sort of thing (and worse)......which I would categorize as abuse, by the way. No regrets on my part, I got lot of work done these last 10 years, but exceeding capacities will take its toll eventually. And remember, just because the loader can do it doesn't mean it won't hurt your tractor. Again, BTDT, so not criticizing, just the voice of experience.

/ How Much Ballast #15  
How about using rear forks for the IBC firewood carrier, or putting a second IBC of firewood on them? If you don't have a tilt cyinder, moving the tractor end of the top link to the lowest position will result in the most tilting of the forks when you raise them.

I second this idea (or is it 3rd now?). This is how I get logs from neighboring properties. I use a high volume bucket on the rear and fill it with 54" logs to the capacity of the 3pt. hitch. (About 2,000 pounds of logs + 500 pound bucket). Then I load the forks on the front with 8 foot logs. For short distances I will load it to max. If it is a long carry (my longest is 2 miles) I'll put no more than 1,500 on the front to keep my center of gravity closer to the larger components in the rear.

/ How Much Ballast #16  
According to specs, my Montana R2844 FEL will lift 2,360lbs to 59" and 1,585lbs to 90". The 3 point hitch can lift 2,619lbs at the ends.

The heaviest loads I lift are around 1400-1500lbs which is an IBC cage of green oak firewood. I currently have 5' King Kutter II rototiller as ballast, which is about 650lbs. When I lift the firewood cages, seems like there is still a lot of weight on the front axle, I leave ruts in the grass.

Would 1,000 lbs or 1,500 lbs ballast be the right weight? 2,000 lbs?
Just so you all know caution is required with some of the sub compact tractors ballast is good. But remember it's a counter weight and some of these units have there front weight all hanging off the Trans housing. And I've seen on a few they have split in half. I do not know weather it's certain models or brands or just smaller units with the loader mounted in front of the Trans. I do do know it puts a heavy load on the Trans housing unless it's either braced or designed into the tractor. But I have the J D 4510 which is the largest of the sub compact never had an issue with it except I did replace planetary gears right side short pinion as wheel hop got the end of the pinion shift. Rear of course. I use the bale tines for feeding and unloading large rounds at times up to 2500 pounds so ballast is critical. But I'm alway cautious about the Trans housing last thing I'd need is to break a Trans. And have no way of feeding cows. And since I have a bad back can't do hand things I've had to many surgeries and a SCI. And can't do alot by hand. Just info guys all I'm putting in.

/ How Much Ballast #17  
According to specs, my Montana R2844 FEL will lift 2,360lbs to 59" and 1,585lbs to 90". The 3 point hitch can lift 2,619lbs at the ends.

The heaviest loads I lift are around 1400-1500lbs which is an IBC cage of green oak firewood. I currently have 5' King Kutter II rototiller as ballast, which is about 650lbs. When I lift the firewood cages, seems like there is still a lot of weight on the front axle, I leave ruts in the grass.

Would 1,000 lbs or 1,500 lbs ballast be the right weight? 2,000 lbs?
Load your rear tires also.

/ How Much Ballast #18  
Just so you all know caution is required with some of the sub compact tractors ballast is good. But remember it's a counter weight and some of these units have there front weight all hanging off the Trans housing. And I've seen on a few they have split in half. I do not know weather it's certain models or brands or just smaller units with the loader mounted in front of the Trans. I do do know it puts a heavy load on the Trans housing unless it's either braced or designed into the tractor. But I have the J D 4510 which is the largest of the sub compact never had an issue with it except I did replace planetary gears right side short pinion as wheel hop got the end of the pinion shift. Rear of course. I use the bale tines for feeding and unloading large rounds at times up to 2500 pounds so ballast is critical. But I'm alway cautious about the Trans housing last thing I'd need is to break a Trans. And have no way of feeding cows. And since I have a bad back can't do hand things I've had to many surgeries and a SCI. And can't do alot by hand. Just info guys all I'm putting in.
Don't know for sure about your tractor but mine has two hefty steel fame rails and engine and hydrostatic trans is mounted to frame rails.... Boom towers and such for FEL actually mount to frame rails...