How much ballast

/ How much ballast #11  
I was referring to counter balance. I've been looking at different weight boxes, DIY stuff, barrels filled, etc. And was wondering how much weight is sufficient. I don't do a lot of heavy work but there is the occasional digging/moving dirt.

I've been keeping the disk or bush hog on for that but it is cumbersome.

Tell us your plan for rear axle ballast. ie: ballast material, 50% or 75% loaded rear tires and/or cast iron wheel weights.

Rear tire ballast, if any, could be 500 - 700 pounds, which effects how much counterbalance is necessary.

Is your DH providing satisfactory counterbalance, cumbersome though it may be? What does your DH weigh?

If the rear feels solidly placed on the ground during a lift when FEL cannot lift to full height due to load, you have sufficient counterbalance.

Attachments

• DSC00128.jpg
    DSC00128.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • DSC00178.jpg
    DSC00178.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
   / How much ballast #12  
With my TC33D, I would just put my 700lb tiller on the 3pt and it seemed about right. I could go lighter for less demanding loader work.

/ How much ballast #13  
I have the same tractor but in 40HP.

I have loaded tires.

Although Jeff is technically correct, everyone uses the word ballast to describe counter balance so lets not get into a tizzy over it.

I purchased a carry all from TSC and added about 750 lbs of lead ingots to the rear of it. Lead is easy for me to get and is very dense so I could still make use of the carry all to carry stuff. The milk crates keep the ingots from bouncing out.

carryall 1.jpgcarryall 2.jpgcarryall 3.jpg

I can lift almost half a cord of wood in the modified IBC tote below but have not lifted to full height as I have no need to:
IBC 2.jpg

/ How much ballast #14  
On my M, I used to run with my box blade as ballast and it worked fine but it is large and cumbersome when maneuvering in tight quarters.
I built a ballast box from I beams and some scrap steel I had lying around and put 3 5gallon buckets of concrete in it. Probably weighs 400 + lbs.
That and 75% loaded tires is more than adequate for anything I need to lift And it is a much more compact load.IMG_1385.jpg

/ How much ballast
My DH is 900lbs +/_
It works well for "ballast" when I'm digging.
I was thinking of a Carry-All and trying to think of weighs (see what I did there?) to add temporary weight to it and still use it for a carryall when no weigh it needed. I don't have access to lead unfortunately.
I do have a 55 gal steel drum......

/ How much ballast #16  
My Disc Harrow is 900lbs +/_

It works well as counterbalance when I'm digging.

Tell us your existing rear axle ballast. ie: ballast material, 50% or 75% loaded rear tires and/or cast iron wheel weights.

Rear tire ballast, if any, could be '0', could be 500 - 700 pounds, which effects how much counterbalance is necessary.

/ How much ballast #17  
Ballast is weight which bears on the rear axle. ie: loaded tires and/or cast iron wheel weights

Counterbalance is weight installed on the Three Point Hitch.

As counterbalance is all behind the rear axle, counterbalance is more effective pound for pound than ballast.

Tell us your plan for rear axle ballast. ie: ballast material, 50% or 75% loaded rear tires and/or cast iron wheel weights.

We will suggest approximately how much counterbalance is necessary for full FEL lifts.

XR4145
SPECIFICATIONS

ENGINE
Type: 3Cyl. In-line Vertical, Water-cooled 4cycle Turbo Diesel, CRDI
Model (Tier 4): L3C19-T
Engine HP (Gross): 45
PTO HP: 38.7
Rated Speed (RPM): 2,600
Displacement (cu. in): 114.7
Fuel Tank Capacity (gal): 10.6
Alternator: 12V- 70 Amps

DRIVE TRAIN
Transmission: Synchro shuttle
Speeds: F16 x R16
Brakes: Wet, Multi Disc
Steering: Hydrostatic Power Steering

PTO
Type: Independent
Mid PTO(Option): 2,000
Rear PTO: Standard (540 rpm)

LL4104
Bucker Size (in): 72
Maximum Lift height (in): 96.3
Clearance with Attachment Dump (in): 63
Reach at Maximum Height (in): 9.0
Maximum Dump Angle (deg.) 65
Maximum Rollback Angle (deg.): 34
Digging Depth (in): 4.3
Overall Height in Carry Position (in): 49.2
Lift Capacity(@ Pivot pin) (lbs.) 2,713
(( strong lift capacity for a 3,869 pound tractor, but not much lift height. ))

Breakout Force(@ Pivot pin) (lbs.): 3,802

HYDRAULIC SYSTEM
Implement pump (gpm): 8.2
Steering pump (gpm): 4.1
Total flow (gpm): 12.3
Category, 3 pt hitch: CAT 1
Hitch Lift capacity (lb.): 2,755
Lift control type: Position / Draft
Remote Valves: 2 Pairs

DIMENSIONS
Overall length with 3pt (in.): 133
Wheelbase (in.): 73.2
Min. overall width with Ag tires (in.): 62.5
Height to top of ROPS with Ag tires (in.): 93

WEIGHT
Total weight without ballast (lbs.): 3,869

Rear tire ballast, if any, could be 500 - 700 pounds, which effects how much counterbalance is necessary.

Is your DH providing satisfactory counterbalance, cumbersome though it may be? What does your DH weigh?

If the rear feels solidly placed on the ground during a lift when FEL cannot lift to full height due to load, you have sufficient counterbalance.

Tell us your existing rear axle ballast. ie: ballast material, 50% or 75% loaded rear tires and/or cast iron wheel weights.

Rear tire ballast, if any, could be '0', could be 500 - 700 pounds, which effects how much counterbalance is necessary.

Jeff, you've ask the same thing 3 times. I think if the OP knew what he wanted to add he wouldn't have been looking for suggestions on what to add.

/ How much ballast #18  
I don't use wheel ballast, because there is a lot of times I run tractor across lawn and I try to leave as little imprint as possible... This is why I have rear ballast box on 3PH... It's no there IF i don't need it.... Got to love Quick Hitches...

Dale

/ How much ballast #19  
I don't use wheel ballast, because there is a lot of times I run tractor across lawn and I try to leave as little imprint as possible... This is why I have rear ballast box on 3PH... It's no there IF i don't need it.... Got to love Quick Hitches...

Dale

That's a great idea and works great for your situation. My situation it wouldn't work. I run 2 sets of rear wheel weights on each side and have 100 gallons of fluid in each rear tire. I need it for traction when plowing/discing and where I bush hog for traction/stability on the hills. I've only marked up the yard a couple times because of it being too wet and even then it wasn't that bad for driving a 60HP tractor with a loader and whatever else was hooked on the back of it in addition to the ballast/weights.