How much does an acre of land go for in your area?

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #41  
No you did not mis read. I'm verifying the parcel price for the 25.69 from the web site. the realtors server is acting up. I'll post it as soon as I get in the site. Holly crap are you getting nailed. I can see why you want out.

idaho2

Ok thats makes a big more sense, thats a shade over $3K/acre for some beautiful property.

UR you are getting hosed on those taxes. My home i live on its $800ish a year i think. I confuse it with my home owners which i think is $1200, so its either one of the 2? I also own a 130 acre family farm (was passed down to me through the family), the house is an original 1950ish wood sided all original home about 1300sqft. The property is timber/ag zoned except the house acre and property taxes are around $600/yr. This property is way out in the country though, you would need to either drive to columbia, SC a little over an hour away or to charlotte NC about the same distance to make it to a town o more than 20K people.

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #42  
Ultrarunner,

I misquoted (I apologize) here's the price copied & pasted from the realtors web site:

$79,500
Number of Acres: 25.69

If I had the extra money I' d settle at $77,500. The current land owner is who I bought my south 40 from last year. There was a buyer but the deal fell thru, back on the market.

Idaho2.

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #43  
$78K is still a big chunck of change. Especially if your talking about up and moving and having no job when you get there. Esp now you need to build a home and most important there needs to be work in that rural area for you.

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area?
Do any of yall actually live in the country? How can anyone actually afford to live in those areas? In SC and GA the reason, besides wanting to live in the country that people actually live here is that it is affordable compared to city property. Those prices might be correct if i were to buy an acre in the cities here in SC. Say columbia or Greenville, not downtown but inside the city limits, but in no way come close to what property is around here. I thought there was no way i could afford property at $2K/acre and then have a decent house on it, i am right. But those prices how can anyone own anything?

A little math:

3 acres at $15K= $45K

Build a $140K really modest home no upgrades and around 2000sqft. Your at 185K. Dig a well, i dont know $10K?? Septic another $10k??? Were at $205k for a stick built throw it up quick home on 3 acres.

Using the first morgage calculator i found on yahoo:

Assuming 3% down
1.25% (was its default) property tax
.5% PMI
4.75% interest
30 year loan.

YOUR PAYMENT is $1250/month!

Yea this is not much higher than my esgrowed payment of $850/month but its still $400 more dollars a month. This just seems way high to live in a vynal (have no idea how to spell it??) sided contractor grade home on 3 acres and still have anything else in life. Im talking about the average person, not some of you who are doing very well in life it seems. Taking that average family salery of $60K/yr. Thats $1,150/month before taxes. Take out $500/month health ins. $200month power $500 month food $100 month cell, $150month cable inet cable. And assuming a withholding rate of 30% thats 3500/month takehome pay. Take your $1250 morgage out of that and your left with $2250 take the rest of those bills out and your left with $800/month. This is whats left to buy your gas pay a car payment any other deby payment you have pay car insurance any other life insurance etc, child care if you have one and both work. Maintian your property and home etc.

My point here is who is buying this land? Who can afford it? I donth think the economy will get better soon as there are tons of people that can make it like i have shown, tight but making it, now what happens as all these boom houses over the last 10 years start needing work done to them and these people cant afford to do it, or they do and default on paymets because of it.

Ane lastly this is only 3 acres and kind of the midle of the road crazy price that yall have trown out there. Use a city price at $50k?acre same math, use $30k/acre it will double the price for land i showed. I personally dont see how this can keep up, i guess there are enough people with hundreds of thousands of extra dollars to invest on just buying land but it almost seems the days of the average person buying their dream is gone after reading these figures.

All this said, i do own my own home which sits on .75 acres.

You do seem to understand why I (now past tense) bought the land. I've been blessed and have a few hundred acres of land, a couple of houses with my main house (remember, I have 5 kids) just under 7000 sq. ft. However, it only sits on 12 acres but is only a mile or so out of town. My big thing was sort of like that old Johnny Cash song, I did it one piece at a time (but it did cost me a dime...and plenty more) and didn't borrow any for anything.

With the prices of just taxes, insurance, a car, insurance for it, plates for it, utilities and so on, I don't see how a hard working family can do it now; especially if the man of the house isn't at least a jack of all trades, perhaps master of none. I never had anything given to me nor inherited a dime. I'm just thinking that it would be a lot easier for my kids if I at least gave them the land to get started on.

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #45  
Price around me depends on alot of things. I have found that pasture land cost more than some timber land. If power & city water is avaliable, etc It usually cost more. It also depends on how bad the person needs to sell. I just purchased 13.5 ac of river property that's heavly wooded for 22k per ac. It has approx 800 ft of river frontage. There is also power & city water on the main road. I priced other property on the same river that didn't have power or water available for a good bit more. It was mostly pasture with a few woods

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #46  
I'm about 45min to 1hr out of downtown Toronto.

96 acres of good farmland is listed at 1.6 million. 135 acres not far is listed at 2.9 million! Neither has a spectacular house or worthwhile outbuildings - count about $250-300k for the house. One of our highways (404) which runs north south is being extended to my area and that has some speculation going I figure.

20 south, closer to the city, 94 acres is listed as 3 million. and 50 acres at 2 million.

Further out (probably 1.5 hr from downtown), east of where I am, there is a wonderful 100 acre farm that is listed at 899k. It used to be a dairy farm with an old (HUGE) bank barn, loads of outbuildings (too many) and an adequate but not spectacular farm house. Good land. My wife and I almost put an offer down on it but we have decided to stay put for now for a couple of reasons:
- Might as well wait a couple of years for the highway to come as far north as we are. They are building already. Appreciation should follow as a result we think.
- A golf course is being built on the unused quarry two properties down. This is likely to benefit us as well.
- Finally, I think we've decided that we'd REALLY rather start with land and then get a house and outbuildings built the way we want.

So we will reconsider in 3-5 years or so. In the meanwhile, my wife is suggesting we get a new kitchen so that we can enjoy it and she claims we will get our money back when we sell. I'm suspicious. I'm claiming, we should get the JD 4720 cab with 100 or so hours I found in mint condition for 15-20000 less than discounted dealer price for a new one (once you factor in sales taxes). At least you know you can take the tractor to your new place!

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #47  
One thing I was told when pricing land..."they are not making any more of it."

It is is not a piece of equipment or tool that is manufactured. The land is a finite resource...limited quantity. The price will not go down. If you find a piece of land that you really then want buy it. If you can not afford it for your dream house cut back on the house and add on later.

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #48  
Our taxes here in eastern Washington have continued to go up, we will be forced to sell to retire somewhere where the taxes are not as high... 20 years ago, only a few houses around this area, now there are a bunch and it caused our value to go way up... land was $1000 per acre around here 15 years ago, most of the land around us sold for $20,000 per acre in the last 5-7 years.

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #49  
About 5 months ago we bought 40 acres in Northern AZ at $800 per acre. It's remote, no grid anywhere around, but that's what we wanted.

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #50  
Our taxes here in eastern Washington have continued to go up, we will be forced to sell to retire somewhere where the taxes are not as high... 20 years ago, only a few houses around this area, now there are a bunch and it caused our value to go way up... land was $1000 per acre around here 15 years ago, most of the land around us sold for $20,000 per acre in the last 5-7 years.

What a shame, I hope that never happens to the area I live in. So many times I hear from young people around here that we're never going to grow and be more prosperous in our area. Well,. I say if seeing my property values go so far up that I have to sell, then why should I care if we don't grow any more. In fact, I kinda liken things to "turnips and rice."

Turnips fall down when you cook them, rice rises up; I like turnips!!!