How much does it cost to run a generator?

/ How much does it cost to run a generator? #11  
Based upon your other thread in how much does it cost to heat your home, it would appear that you are thinking about replacing part of your utility needs with a generator. I may be mistaken about this.

If this is your intention, I do not see how you could replace the electricity with a cheaper cost on making your own. Simple economy of scale.

/ How much does it cost to run a generator?
Yes your right DUMBDOG I'm thinking about cutting off the electric company for good. I'm now thinking on trying a diesel generator with a wood stove for heat. I wonder if Tennessee good place for windmills?

Here is some generators below that would be good to have.

http://generator.kubota.jp/

Thanks, Terry

/ How much does it cost to run a generator? #13  
If it were me, I would go with the wood stove for the heat, but keep the line for the lights. If wind power was an alternative in your location you could sell the excess back to the power company when you did not need it.

Going fully self sufficient, you need batteries etc. Going out for diesel all of the time and the price of it would not be a good alternative in my opinion.

I wonder if a farmer could get by with farm diesel fuel instead of paying at the gas station? Farm fuel is cheaper.

Terry

/ How much does it cost to run a generator? #15  
Off road diesel is called farm diesel and it is cheaper than road diesel. Anyone can get it that has a bulk tank to be filled and is not going to use it for on road purposes. Our supplier likes to have at least 250 gallons to fill to make it worth the trip.

I watched a show on DIY this last week that featured a family that needed power to their vacation house. Electrical hook up was going to cost 15K so they went solar. It cost 10K and looked like a very nice system. Wind and hydro systems would be very similar in configuration.

If you already have power running a generator is going to be much much more expensive than if you stayed connected, used the wood stove, and spent money on energy efficient lighting, appliances and insulation. One other word of caution is that it will be cheap to disconnect from the grid but may be a little expensive to get back on the grid later if you want to or need too to sell you place.

Eric

/ How much does it cost to run a generator? #16  
"you dont have to call me darlin...darlin...you never even call me by my name' Even us REDNECKS up here in the northeast listen to DAVID ALAN COE /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifNow i cant get the d... song out of my head /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
ALAN

/ How much does it cost to run a generator? #17  
Terry,
I'll agree with Eric too. I have a Miller Bobcat NT250 (gas powered) 10KW Welder Generator. The first day I bought it my power went out for 6 hours. I hooked it up and ran it. It used gas at about 9/10ths of a gal. per hour so I used 5.4 gal.. At a cost of 2.369 a gal. that 6 hours cost just over $12.79. A diesel gen. may be a little more fuel efficient but not much considering that diesel costs 30-35 cents more per gal. than gas in my area. I considered a diesel Generator but found the cost almost double for a similar sized gas unit. Based on this fuel usage rate, 24 hrs would cost $51.17 times 30 days a month would be a whopping $1535.10. Kinda makes the power companies cost look cheap. I'm glad I have this generator for backup power but I could not afford to run generator power on a full time basis.

There are many good brands of diesel generators. If you're set on a diesel you might look at Northern Tool (Northerntool.com). They sell diesel units (powered by John Deere) and LP/Nat gas units (powered by GM).

George

What did your Miller Bobcat NT250 cost you? My local welding dealer here told me the Miller Bobcat NT250 would cost me 3,000 dollars. What kind of gas engine does your Miller have?

Thanks, Terry

/ How much does it cost to run a generator? #19  
I found a nice used Miller bobcat 225 gas model used for $800. I figured it would be cheaper to have this running the house in a power outage than running power from my poultry barn generator to the house which is about 500’ away plus if I needed to weld something out in the back 40 I am ready. I haven’t used it yet except to test it out. They are not especially quiet. I believe you could get one for about $2500 but by the time you set up the wire feeder, arc welding cables, and tig setup, plus bottles you have laid down some serious money.

Eric

/ How much does it cost to run a generator? #20  
Terry,
I checked with my local dealer when I bought mine. At the time he had a new one I was looking at in the store for under $2900. As I was looking at it a guy came in and bought it so I had to wait till the next one came in. About 2 weeks later I stopped back and they had one with 19 hours on it. I asked if this supposed to be new with 19hrs.? Was told it was factory refurbished, came with the warranty, and got it for about $2200. Saved about $700 by waiting so I bought it on the spot. Since I bought it they gave me a discount on the accessories I bought with it (2 - 40' lenghts of welding cable with ends, various rod, rod holder & ground clamp etc. and a full tank of gas) My local dealer sells them as fast as he gets them since I live in a part of the state were power goes out quite often. I downloaded the manual for it online and put it in a 3 ring binder. Ask your dealer about a refurb. unit. They might be able to get one for you. Mine has the Onan engine and currently has 54.4 hours and starts right up and runs like a champ.

George