How much does this pig weigh?

/ How much does this pig weigh? #21  
"The world record for the heaviest pig so far is held by Big Bill, owned by Elias Buford Butler of Jackson, Tennessee. It was a Poland China breed of hog that tipped the scales at 2,552 lb (1,157 kg) in 1933.[8] Bill was due to be exhibited at the Chicago World Fair when he broke a leg and had to be put down. At about this point in time, the trend in hog production began to shift to hogs that were much trimmer and very lean."

Years ago my dad told me that in the old days, half the value of a hog carcass was in the lard, which used to be the preferred cooking oil. I once fed my 9 year old, competitive swimmer brother-in-law a batch of lard cooked french fries. He Hoovered about 5 lbs. of potatoes before he slowed down. They really were delicious: new crop russet potatoes and fresh home rendered leaf lard from milk, corn and fruit finished hogs. The flavor was memorable, but that's the only time I ever deep fried with lard.

My grandmother used to cook with lard, though my mother had switched to Crisco by the time I came along. I'm not sure it was any healthier.

/ How much does this pig weigh? #22  
Years ago my dad told me that in the old days, half the value of a hog carcass was in the lard, which used to be the preferred cooking oil. I once fed my 9 year old, competitive swimmer brother-in-law a batch of lard cooked french fries. He Hoovered about 5 lbs. of potatoes before he slowed down. They really were delicious: new crop russet potatoes and fresh home rendered leaf lard from milk, corn and fruit finished hogs. The flavor was memorable, but that's the only time I ever deep fried with lard.

My grandmother used to cook with lard, though my mother had switched to Crisco by the time I came along. I'm not sure it was any healthier.
In the early 60's my Dad, Uncles, and we boys use to kill 20-30 hogs every winter. We rendered our own lard. Back then, you could even buy empty 30 lb metal lard cans in the grocery stores, not only in the local general store but the major chains also. They were sold next to the 40 lb bags of flour. When I grew up, we were "dirt poor". We raised all our food. We canned, salted and froze the "fruits of our labor". There were only three products that we didn't have the means to raise or grow. These were milk-we only had beef cattle-, sugar and flour. We got our milk from the adjacent Dairy Farm, but we bought our flour and sugar. During the fall, our Family, along with other local farm families would make molasses, thus reducing the need for some amounts of sugar. Those of you that have never seen molasses made, the first rendering, before skimming the first time, looks just like the bottom of a well used spittoon.

/ How much does this pig weigh?
Tallyho,
How long have you had your Moultrie camera? What model is it? I have one and it takes the best quality photo's of any game camera I have. Unfortunately, the LCD has screwed up and you can't tell what mode it's on. It appears to be a common problem with them as I know 4 others with the same problem.

I replaced it with a Bushnell and the photo quality is terrible. It has a night range of maybe 20 feet.

I have the Moultrie and a Primos Truth Cam 46. I forgot the model of the Moultrie and would have to go look it up. They are both about 2 years old with no problems and I like them both.

/ How much does this pig weigh? #24  
Hard to say as there is nothing to scale it too.... but it's a shooter.
looks to be a sow from this angle, can't say for sure.

/ How much does this pig weigh? #25  
I have no experience with pigs and so I don't have any idea about how much this one might weigh.

More and more animals are being run out of the swamps as they rebuild the levees in our area. First it was deer and then coyote and now pigs.

My neighbor is an excellent wild game cook so I am looking forward to a cochon de lait soon.

It's a feral hog, very common here. We are farther north in the state than you, but we have them here also. Commonly referred to as "Piney Wood Rooters." They've become a real pest. Even a small group of them can ruin a hay meadow overnight.

Hard to tell exactly, but probably 125-150#. If it's a boar, you probably won't be able to stand the smell to clean him, much less cook and eat him. It will be OK if it's a sow.

/ How much does this pig weigh? #26  
Here are a few that were in the trap tonight. Didn't weigh them but the guy who took them said they should taste good.

image-1507221789.jpg

Little boars and one small sow

Attachments

• image-1529789115.jpg
    image-1529789115.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 92
   / How much does this pig weigh?
This time a friend came along for dinner. If we don't start eliminating pigs fast we will be completely overrun soon.

Attachments

• 11202011.2 055.JPG
    11202011.2 055.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 103