How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode?

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #41  
We all talk about what tractor to get, the threads are numerous :D

I'm going to add one tidbit here, make sure your fences are in good shape before you get the cows! Your new neighbors will certainly appreciate it.

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #42  
Welcome to TBN.

Round bales... you will do well to get a trailer type of hay mover. Can use to pick up bales from neighbor using a pickup as well as move on your place using a smaller tractor. Hay forks/spikes only work on a tractor.

If left outside, big round bales lose less to weathering than smaller bales do.

With just a few cows, you will lose quite a bit of hay to spoilage... they can't eat an entire bale before rains come and soak the bale and they don't eat it any more...unless you have a covered hay feed area.

Squares are more manual labor....it's a trade off.

Bottom line, if you are going to use tractor and FEL to move bales, need a 50 hp class tractor.

If using a 3ph spike or fork, about 35 hp will do.

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #43  
you will be fighting large rounds using a 3pt spike on a 35hp tractor.. can do it.. but won't be fun for the operator or the tractor.

soundguy

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #44  
Except my drum is 55ys old and still starts on the first try and moves 1000# round bales on it's fel.

soundguy

Gonna side with this drum myself. The old stuff was just built heavier and simplier. Less the break and harder to break it.