How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode?

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #31  
They have stood the test of time but what about the operating hours. Have stood that test as well??:D Cause if they haven't one can not really comment on their durability other than say they age well sitting!:D

I see you are beating that old drum again. it's a 2 sided sword that you forget about.. If you take a new mahcine and let it set and use it a couple hours a month, vs an old mahcine that has seen the same.. I'll bet the new machine won't even be worth recycling into a toaster in 60ys.. whereas we -know- the old machine actually made it across the finish line.. running.

IE.. compairing direct hours to hours, I'll lay my money on the older machines for total longevity.

soundguy

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #33  
Seems that you are beating on the same drum!:D

Except my drum is 55ys old and still starts on the first try and moves 1000# round bales on it's fel.

soundguy

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #34  
Well, lets say on each side of the drum. :D

I just like to express my opinion as well which is different than yours.:D

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode?
To all,

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like I need to look at bigger HP and used to get the best tractor and mow the yard with a seperate machine. Our budget may limit the purchase of a used tractor, but we can borrow against our savings and still get a pretty good rate. I'll keep looking and checking in with you.

J.D.

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #37  
J.D.,

We are in a similar situation to yours. We own a Kubota B2410 with MMM and a few accessories and are looking to till 10 acres annually so it won't do.

Having operated gear and hydro tractors and owning a hydro now, NO WAY for tillage! Tou'll burn it up.

My advice, given what you want to do is as follows, please remember what was paid for it :)

Get a GOOD ZTR for the yard, it'll out-mow any SCUT or CUT and cost 1/3 to 1/2 as much! SCAG, Kubota, Hustler or Gravley, see: LM Reports: Commercial Zero-turn Mowers - Landscape Management

Get a GOOD used piece of 35-55Hp IRON with a FEL and at least one rear remote. Then you can disc or use a tiller and even with a mower, tractor, disc and tiller be LESS than just a new tractor!

We are not going new, I'm going to find an old IH if it kills me.

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode?
John,

The ZTR is a good choice but my budget is propelling me toward a 48" WAW Gravely. I have about 1/2 an acre to mow and this should do even if I supplement later with a throw down rider. I am also purchasing a Gravely string trimmer to to the detail work.

I too am looking at the used market and am considering a Yanmar FX26D or something in the 30 horse+. A recent dealer told me I should consider a disc over a tiller in the sandy loam soil of east Texas. He also said I could use a brush hog to mow the yard if the soil was dry, so as not to leave tire ruts.

I understand that JD is a Yanmar tractor minus the green paint.

Thanks,
J.D.

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #39  
Buy a tractor for your tilling , mowing, and property maintenance needs. The 20-30 hp range seems to be plenty in my opinion.

3 to 4 head of cattle can be fed by a hay dolley easy. The bales can be pushed off the truck with a little effort, I am sure the ole boy your going to get your hay from has done it and willing to do it again, I do it twice a year. I run 20 head and farm peas on 53acres with a 140 farmall.

For that matter, butcher your cows in the fall and replace them in the spring so there wont be a need for any hay to move or buy.

If you need to buy a 30,000 dollar machine to feed 3 to 4 cows it better be some real good steak!

Layne

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #40  
CaptainJDS,

I think you are on the right track. If you looked at square bails, the 2320 would be a very good machine. If you're going to do round bails, then yes, a higher HP machine would be indicated.

The 2320 and 2630 share the same loader. When you move up to the next B series in the line, the 2920, then it moves to a larger loader that can carry about 1000 lbs. The 2920 can also run a tiller for you're guarden, and can accomidate a 60 inch or 54 inch mid mount finishing mower.

If you need more then that, then the next largest B has a larger loader. Look at the Kubota web site.

But you could save you're self some money here, but researching what it would take for you to feed you're cows with square bails.

I have a 2920 with a tiller, bush hog and blade and am very happy with it.