How much HP do I need?

/ How much HP do I need? #1  

4shorts

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 5740,BX25D
Hi everyone. I'm in need of a few opinions. I've been snow clearing with my 1993 GMC truck doing the same two parking lots now for 13 years. The lots are located right accross the street from me so there's no traveling time.
I also do my own driveway which is about 500 feet long so I've been thinking about retiring the truck and getting a new tractor.

I've been looking at a few differant ones starting with the Kioti DK45Cab series. The others are the Kubota L4240 Grand Cab and the L5740 Grand cab both with the LA854 loader and I can add my old snow plow blade to the unit and have a bucket with the blade.

With the truck I could do all my snow clearing in two hours and the truck didn't work had. When we get snow it's only a few inches at a time but when it piles up I need a tractor/loader to move it.

The question is will a 44 hp tractor be able to handle general snow clearing removable or should I move up to a 57 hp model? The tractor won't be working hard so I don't want to pay for HP's that I don't really need or use. Thanks for your time.

/ How much HP do I need? #2  
Rimshot lives in Michigan's Upper Pennisula. He gets so much snow in the winter time we have to send a TBN flare up to get his attention. :rolleyes: He's moved lots of snow with his CK20. I'd say the DK45 is plenty of tractor to do the snow removal you describe.

If Rimshot see's this, I'm sure he will check in.

Don

/ How much HP do I need? #3  
We do snow removal with a TC45 (45hp) and a 7' bucket (about 2/3 of a yard)
works fine

But if all I was doing was snow removal and wasn't traveling, I'd get a skidsteer with a snow pusher.

way faster

/ How much HP do I need? #4  
I have a 3820 Century, (38 hp) this last winter we had more snow than we have had in years. I did not have any problems, after I filled rear tires. I am just using the FEL but plan on getting a snowblower for this winter.

/ How much HP do I need? #5  
I have a 33 HP Challenger (265B) and mounted a 8 foot fisher plow on the front (with aux. hydraulics for angle). It works so much faster than a 4 wheeler's 60" plow and can push the banks back with ease. I have to have tire chains on for traction (slope to my driveway). If the snow is wet or more than 6" then pushing to the side usually results in the front end sliding (I am exploring tire chains for the front tires). I am sure you would do just fine with a 45 HP and plow.

Mike

/ How much HP do I need? #6  
Heck, you can push a 4' snow plow with a 12 hp Gravely. Prorate that to whatever snow plow size you want to use. That same Gravely would only run a 26" snow blower but would throw the snow a good 70' or so.

My JD 4010 with only 18.5 hp pushs or pulls a 5' back blade and/or a 53" FEL for clearing snow. It could easily handle a 6' back blade with the FEL used for getting the stuff out of the way.

Ralph

/ How much HP do I need?
Great info here guys and thanks for your posts. Well I took the plunge yesterday and purchased a new Kubota L4240 Grand Cab series tractor with HST plus.

It has 42 net HP and 35 hp at the rear PTO. I also got the Kubota L2674 rear snow blower with it that includes all the hydraulics's to move the shute.

The 3rd function valve will be installed by the dealer and I'll adapt my Artic 7.5 power angle snow blade to adapt to the quick change LA854 loader attachment and it will allow me to angle the blade plus still have the use of the bucket when I need it. If this doesn't move the snow for me I got a big problem :(

/ How much HP do I need? #8  
LoneCowboy said:
We do snow removal with a TC45 (45hp) and a 7' bucket (about 2/3 of a yard)
works fine

But if all I was doing was snow removal and wasn't traveling, I'd get a skidsteer with a snow pusher.

way faster

Snow Pushers also work fine mounted on a Skid Steer type Quick Attach on a larger size compact. I suspect a 45 hp would work fine.

Andy

/ How much HP do I need? #9  
Andy - can you or someone else fill me in on what the benefits/drawbacks are to a snow pusher compared to a straight blade? I'm currently looking for a snow blade for my Case DX45 tractor. It has the quick attach and 3rd option kit installed on the loader for hydraulics. Thanks.

/ How much HP do I need? #10  
Snow pushers have the side plates that control the amount of spill off during each push. It allows you to carry a large amount of snow over a large area.

Its effectiveness is between a straight blade and a huge snow bucket without the drawback of either. As you know a straight blade can only push a small volume of snow without spilling off. A bucket is heavy, wears quickly and has no way of tripping if caught on an edge. A pusher solves these issues.

The benefit of a blade that can angle is that you can windrow the snow to the side. So if you are doing roads, or huge lots, a power angle blade would be the choice.

What type of snow plowing do you plan on doing (driveways, roads, parking lots, etc)?