How much HP is enough?

/ How much HP is enough?
The latest Es are just about as nice as my 5525. I do wish it had electronic hitch, but oh well.

D.

/ How much HP is enough? #12  
Dont forget that the "E" has toplink sensing 3pt hitch (atleast my 2011 did) If your doing ground engaging work, that really puts alot of good semi-mount plows out of touch. I think that the E is alot lighter than the 5M or the 6D as well. If you are satisfied with your current tractor for the most part, moving up 10-15 hp might not be a bad idea. The M is ALOT fancier but you can get much more hp our of the 6d for the same money. I'm actually considering a 6140D (its been sitting on my dealer's lot for some time.) A good disc mower eats alot of pto hp and it never hurts to have some hp in reserve.

/ How much HP is enough?
I am/was not sure about the top link sense.

I current tractor is 91hp, this one is 93.

I am having them put dual wheel weights on it.

Also - the Ms aren't that much fancier than the new Es. Originally they were and the old Es looked like an open station with an aftermarket cab thrown on it. I wouldn't buy one of those.

All the reports I am getting on the 6D is that they have some quality issues. Also - that 9 speed trans is just not enough.

I hear ya on the disc mower - I have a Krone AM323S - I know when my it is my behind my 5525.

d.

/ How much HP is enough? #14  
I am/was not sure about the top link sense.

I current tractor is 91hp, this one is 93.

I am having them put dual wheel weights on it.

Also - the Ms aren't that much fancier than the new Es. Originally they were and the old Es looked like an open station with an aftermarket cab thrown on it. I wouldn't buy one of those.

All the reports I am getting on the 6D is that they have some quality issues. Also - that 9 speed trans is just not enough.

I hear ya on the disc mower - I have a Krone AM323S - I know when my it is my behind my 5525.

d.

Do you mean to say that your not sure what it does or that your not sure that toplink sensing would be a bad thing?

Well, I'm sure the newer E's are better than two years ago, but thats the model that I have to draw reference from.

The 9 spd trans has really scared me away from the 6D as well. What sort of quality issues?

A disc mower is one of the main reasons I'm considering going to a bigger machine. 69 pto hp just isn't enough to run a decent sized disc mower.

/ How much HP is enough?
I was not clear. I was not aware of the toplink sensing. I know it had draft control - but didn't look at it too much.

Talk to your local JD mechanics but they have had a number of the 6Ds torn down to nothing to fix things internal. It wasn't just one.

My 5525 is 75 PTO and I run a 10'6 disc mower behind it. I have it in a mower caddy - so it is easier on the tractor.

In thick stuff I have to slow down some - but usually it is a limit to how much I want to be beat around in the cab than the HP.

D.

/ How much HP is enough? #16  
Grandpa farmed with a John Popper. Lots of weight and not lots of horsepower.

Just enough horse power to drag that harmonica around to till up the sound waves. :)

/ How much HP is enough? #17  
I use a 6 series (6330) for our mower conditioner

/ How much HP is enough? #18  
Oops, sent accidentally. Anyway, I like the 6 for getting hay cut and baled and for tillage. The 5M is a killer tractor, best utility tractor I've ever owned. It runs the hay equipment ok but can't do the tillage jobs like the 6330. I think that's comparable to a 6d but I haven't shopped them.

/ How much HP is enough? #19  
I pull a Kuhn 3150 10'2" trailed mower with my 5083E and it does fine in B3 at about 6mph. Also a 458 silage special. A friend of mine just bought a 6105D, I used it baling silage earlier this year and the only complaint I had was with the 9F9R PowerReverser, there was not enough gear options to find the right speed. That being said, I have no real issues with my 5E, basic cab tractor by todays standards but, still definitely comfortable and capable. I will say, if you do go with the E, make sure you get the larger tires (18.4-30) rears. It really makes the HP go a lot further IMO. Good luck!

/ How much HP is enough? #20  
I'm curious how much fuel per hr does your 5525 use pulling baler or cutter?

you can have all kinds of hp but if you cant get it to the ground, useless. weight of the unit is very important. i have the same machine, ive never figured out its fuel consumption but ill have to say, its a little thirsty. this is the data from testing.

Test Date: November 15 - 23, 2005
Type: Diesel 12-speed 4WD
PTO power (max): 77.96 hp [58.1 kW]
PTO fuel use (max): 5.2 gal/hour [19.7 l/hour]
PTO power (rated engine speed): 76.01 hp [56.7 kW]
PTO fuel use (engine speed): 5.4 gal/hour [20.4 l/hour]