How much HP needed to cut honeysuckle vines.

/ How much HP needed to cut honeysuckle vines. #11  
I use a 640 on my 48 acres for brush hogging, blading, etc. Although mine is old (a 55 model), it just keeps on running and is easy to work on. I use a five foot hog on mine and have mowed everything from grass to blackberry bushes 6 feet high, to honey suckle with no problems. You just have to go reasonably slow and you will be fine. In my opinion the Ford you list would be more than enough tractor. I have no experience with the other models, but would supect that they would handle it fine.

/ How much HP needed to cut honeysuckle vines. #12  
As far as the steep part, can't really help you there. You know your property.

However, for the honeysuckle...

I did a pretty good job using a 24 (PTO) HP Deere 790 and a 60" Land pride cutter. 24 HP is plenty..I think a lot of folk underestimate tractors by far. This 60" cutter was ran first on a 16 (PTO) HP Deere 670 which did a fine job through brush that was as tall as the tractor..or as tall as the ROPS. No problems..just a stall now n' then...but it was slow going.

My technique was to knock down and back drag the vines using the loader bucket (with a tooth bar), then driving over the honey suckle..or backing over it.

It's better if you do this early in the season before it really thickens up. That's not what I did this year (went into when it was high and lush), but will be my method next year...late winter or very early Spring.

/ How much HP needed to cut honeysuckle vines.
Tinkerer, thanks for your comments on your Ford 640. I now feel confident that it would be adequate for my needs.
JFM

Roy, You sound like a man who"s been there and done that with honeysuckle. Thanks for painting the picture so well. I also value your advice on PTO horsepower needs.
JFM

/ How much HP needed to cut honeysuckle vines. #15  
Since your not worried about longterm.
Don't want to lay out a bunch of cash.
Land is steep.
I'd consider hiring an experienced dozer w/operator and sit back sipping something cool whilst watching him push it into burn piles =$1500(about $65/hr for 2 or 3 days). Then, hire somebody to cut it about 4 times a year during the growing season for about $150 a shot.
Remember, your sitting in a chair sipping your favorite beverage for about $2K And it is much,much safer for you.

Kyle, you have laid out a very reasonable proposition. The only problem is, it would deprive me of all that fresh air and good wholesome fun! Having been raised on a JD B and having owned a 9N and 8N in another life, I can't wait to climb up on my own tractor again. Many thanks for your cogent advice anyway.
JFM

/ How much HP needed to cut honeysuckle vines. #17  
Here is a surprising but true fact. My father who works for a coal mining company proved something to me. Would you believe that honeysuckle and kudzu vines can stop a D11 dozer??!! Now, to give you a reference point, the D11 dozer weighs over 100 tons, has about 850 hp, can push 45 cubic yards of dirt per pass, as it gulps over 40 gallons of diesel fuel per hour, and generally costs about 2 million dollars. We drove into a grove of honeysuckle and kudzu vines and hooked a massive wad of them with the blade and began to drive through them. Huge trees were falling behind us as the vines began to take hold. Soon black smoke began pouring out of the exhaust and full power was applied. We moved ahead for another 20 or 30 feet dragging even more vines with us, and then it happened; both massive tracks on each side began spinning! The blade was still about 1 foot off of the ground and all that was holding the beast was those vines, yet it was stopped!

Obviously, two smaller passes and all was ripped out. However, my only point is that it amazed me how much strength mere vines can have! I would not have believed that one of the largest and most powerful dozers on the planet could be stopped by some measley honeysuckle and kudzu vines!

/ How much HP needed to cut honeysuckle vines. #18  
Another similar story.
Many years ago, I worked 2nd shift in a large machine/Fab shop next to some railroad tracks. Went out back to get some cutting oil as a train was going by. I noticed one small wire hanging precariously low across the tracks. I figured that wire had been there for ages and trains had height limits so I went back inside. Well, not that train but the next one that came by after dark grabbed that wire. It ended up cracking many telephone poles in a 3 or 4 block area. Man, were the sparks flying, it looked like "the Natural" movie. Our power went out needless to say and I got the rest of the night off...

Dargo, I believe your story. My story can't compare with yours but it does pertain to the quesion I raised. Years ago, a farmer I Knew broke his power takeoff shaft on his JD B while running his rotary mower over honeysuckle vines.
JFM

/ How much HP needed to cut honeysuckle vines. #20  
That 135 will run a 6' bushhog over honeysuckle just fine. If you are just going to pasture it why not just put up a fence and place a few cows in it to clear it out.