How much of a hydraulic leak/drip do you accept?

/ How much of a hydraulic leak/drip do you accept? #11  
A drip is not acceptable .. A bit of damp around fitting or whatever is probably acceptable...

Dale

Exactly. I have been an aircraft mechanic for better part of three decades. Rule of thumb is “leakage insufficient to form a drop” is not a leak.

/ How much of a hydraulic leak/drip do you accept? #12  
I am not a bike guy, but don't they say if a Harley isn't leaking, it's out of oil? Same with my Steiner. Drips and oil spots are OK. Puddles are not.

/ How much of a hydraulic leak/drip do you accept? #13  
Exactly. I have been an aircraft mechanic for better part of three decades. Rule of thumb is “leakage insufficient to form a drop” is not a leak.

It's a "weep"

/ How much of a hydraulic leak/drip do you accept?

Ive been to many airshows and the WWII class planes have dramatic drip issues and huge stains under them. Like they need Aero-Depends. I'd rather my tractor leak than my plane :eek:

/ How much of a hydraulic leak/drip do you accept? #15  
Anything that old is going to have leaks. They just did not have the seals, gaskets, and sealants we do now.

Cork and felt keeps dirt out.
Keeping oil in, not so much.

/ How much of a hydraulic leak/drip do you accept? #16  
Old stuff's gonna old. Anything new or that I assembled or rebuilt? It's got to be dry or it's going to bug me. I even managed to get a Meriden Triumph made during the labor troubles to hold its oil.

/ How much of a hydraulic leak/drip do you accept? #17  
So my idea of a leak of any kind is, fix it. Oil of any kind is supposed to be contained inside the machine. A leak just gets worse if left alone.

/ How much of a hydraulic leak/drip do you accept? #18  
I am amazed at the number of posts about leaks including new stuff. 1500 HRs and my BX has never leaked anywhere. If it did; its time to investigate and fix. Leaks never get better on their own and usually get worse. Hoses are vulnerable and harden with age. You do not want to experience a hot hydraulic shower. Hoses are one of the worst for leaks getting worse. They leak, get worse and then expect the shower. When I was doing industrial mechanical systems repair and maintenance. One hose goes due to age; they all get replaced.

Ron

/ How much of a hydraulic leak/drip do you accept? #19  
None! Doesn't mean I will fix it right away but it gnaws at me until I do something. A leak or drip is not right. Many have to live with it due to resources, time, etc. As Ron basically said, it ain't gonna get better.