How much to charge to trim trees?

/ How much to charge to trim trees? #12  
After a day with a manual pole saw, your in for a whole heap of pain you probably havent felt before. Your neck muscles alone will be new found areas of hurt.

A climber will be able to get around that tree, cut the dead free, then unhook it when it gets stuck a little further down in the tree (as it always does), do better cuts, and walk away uncrippled in 1/4 of the time you will take. He wont bend his pole, get it very stuck or end up with a limb across his face either. I doubt your going to be able to beat them on price or safety.

Even if you get the job, its going to hurt ya doing it in the way your describing!

/ How much to charge to trim trees?
You are right about the neck muscles, I have done a lot of cutting on my own trees with a manual pole saw.

/ How much to charge to trim trees? #14  
I once read that part of doing business is the education in learning what to charge. Only you know what your time is worth and at what amount you will feel good about the job. Too cheap and you feel like you gave away your time. Too high and you don't get the job. What every you agree to, stick with that number no matter what and you will get referrals and other jobs. Put it all in writing and include what you both agree to that will be done and what you are to be paid, and when you are to be paid.

Lets say you feel your time is worth $25 an hour. You said it's four days work, so it's $800 in labor. Add $200 for gas and equipment and you are at an even grand. Don't tell the client how many days it should take, just give them the number and try to do it in less then four days. If it takes five, so be it. That is part of your education and that costs money too.

Eddie

/ How much to charge to trim trees? #15  
I sure wouldn't be doing any cutting with a hand saw. Perhaps an electric / battery chain saw would work better. I used a B&D Works saw once and it cut small 3-4" limbs very quickly. For larger stuff, a 110V bar type saw would save you trying to crank a saw while in the air, just have to watch out for tangles in the cord from falling limbs.

/ How much to charge to trim trees? #16  
What is your skillset/level of experience doing this type of work? What method of access to the trees would you use? Would you work with climbing harness, lines, a ground crew person, or a solo act? If you do damage to owner's property, neighbor's property or end up hurt, what coverage do you have for any of these situations?
Unless you're a pro and have the tools and skillset and liability insurance in force forget about what to charge and don't take it on. You CAN'T afford the downside risk. I'm speaking as a former pro tree surgeon.