How much to grease (4230)

/ How much to grease (4230) #1  

JYD

Bronze Member
Hi All,

I am a first time tractor owner and just put the first 10 hours on it. I purchased a grease gun and grease to grease the FEL. my JD dealer warned me not to over grease or it will damage the seals. He said just put 2 pumps in each fitting.

He says the biggest problem he sees is people over greasing that damages the seals or not enough grease.

My questions is, is 2 pumps enough(pistal grip style grease gun)? and how do you know you have enough grease in?

Also, does it matter when you add grease? before , during or after you do your work

Thanks, I look forward to your replys

JYD

/ How much to grease (4230) #2  
It really depends on the fittings as to how much grease you use.
Most of the zerk fittings on my 790 lubricate shafts or pins. You can pump grease in until you see it ooze out of the end of the shaft or pin. A good example of this is the pivot pins on your loader (if you have one).
Zerks that lead into fittings with seals should not be overfilled. What you'll see will be a rubber boot at the end of the fitting you're greasing. A good example of this is the pivots at the end of the steering cylinder. Personally, I think two pumps aren't adequate, but I would not pump the grease gun more then 5 times, so 4 seems reasonable.

I grease the fittings every 10 hours ± 2 hours. I grease before operating the tractor.

Greasing the implements is every bit as important. I just had to disassemble a wheel spindle on my finishing mower to lube it up. The zerk fitting had been damaged.

/ How much to grease (4230) #3  
JYD:

In case I have not already done so- welcome to TBN :D! I generally pump twice. I (as usual :)) agree with RoyJackson and his suggestions (although his hat still bothers me :D) I do not believe it really matters when you grease, although it would seem that greasing the FEL and tractor after it after it has been worked and warm would allow for better grease spread. Many of the posters I have read in the past feel that greasing at the end of the day when you are already dirty and prior to cleaning yourself and the tractor up is better than having to grease it up in the morning and getting dirty early. I do not always follow this recommendation :(. Jay

/ How much to grease (4230) #4  
You don't like my hat???

/ How much to grease (4230) #5  
RoyJackson said:
You don't like my hat???

Roy:

I am still processing my emotions about your hat. I am not sure if it scares me, I am envious, and/or my realization that we are both wading in the same area of the genetic gene pool (Maybe swimming :rolleyes:?) :D.

Jay

/ How much to grease (4230) #6  
I am not aware of grease seals on my JD FEL or on other common brands of FEL. I grease until I sense hard resistance or see grease oozing out. This is often 2 pumps, but it varies.

/ How much to grease (4230) #7  
Z-Michigan said:
I am not aware of grease seals on my JD FEL or on other common brands of FEL. I grease until I sense hard resistance or see grease oozing out. This is often 2 pumps, but it varies.

You're right, Z...no seals on the Loader...the example I gave was to describe the "no seal" greasing where it oozes through vs. the sealed fitting (steering cylinder...at least on my 790 and other Deeres I've looked under) for which you have to limit the amount of grease.

I'd guess the dealer was describing how to grease the tractor...not a loader. I just used the loader for illustrative purposes.

/ How much to grease (4230) #8  
I usually grease until I begin to see the new grease just begin to push out the old grease from the fitting i.e. on the front end loader arms, etc.

The rubber boots on the front steering assembly have a grease "nipple" on them that, when full, begin to leak a trail of grease from a small hole. When that happens, I know it's time to quit pumping the grease gun, cause all I'm gonna do is make a mess!

I think that there are some bearing applications (spindle shaft on a finish mower, etc.) that over-greasing can be detrimental. But, for most things, too much grease is only as bad as the mess you have to clean up...

Well; I recognize that too much grease can attract and hold a lot of dirt and that dirt wears things out faster or that globs of grease can fall into places that are hot and might get a fire started...

But, I subscribe to the school of "grease a-day keeps the mechanic at bay"! So, I probably over-grease...

And that hat --- Roy? Is there somebody that has your wife/oldest kid held captive and if you don't wear that hat --- you'll never see them again!
Just wondering.... Or is there a "Bull's R Us" group in town? Like the Mason's or Duck's Unlimited??

Larry

/ How much to grease (4230)
Thanks for your comments/suggestions.

So from what I get is to grease the fel until you see it come out or feel resistence.

Thanks again

JYD

/ How much to grease (4230) #10  
AKfish said:
And that hat --- Roy? Is there somebody that has your wife/oldest kid held captive and if you don't wear that hat --- you'll never see them again!
Just wondering.... Or is there a "Bull's R Us" group in town? Like the Mason's or Duck's Unlimited??

Larry

I had a choice between a Free Kubota hat and this hat...