How much tractor for my existing attachments?

/ How much tractor for my existing attachments? #1  

UncleBuck1

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 MF 2660HD; 1964 JD 4020 (may she rest in peace)
I realize this is the attachments forum, but I think this may be the best place for me to post this question.

I own 160 acres of recreational/hunting property in SW Mississippi and I mainly use a tractor for maintaining about 1.5 miles of gravel road and a similar amount of dirt farm roads, discing food plots, mowing moderately thick brush and general clean up duty. My property is fairly hilly with a couple of creek crossings. The 3 attachments that I'm focused on from a sizing standpoint are a 7' Kodiak HD rotary cutter, a set of 24x20 discs and an 8' box blade. My old 90 HP Deere had no problem pulling any of these attachments (the box blade would give it trouble if I tried to cut too deep), but because more HP = more money (and because I'm basically cheap) I'm looking to replace it with something smaller.

The local Kubota dealer has two used low-hour tractors I'm looking at, a 2 wheel drive MX5100 ($18,000) and a 4 wheel drive M7040 ($27,000). A nearby Deere dealership has a 5065E and a 5403, both 4WD, for the same price as the M7040, but I haven't looked at them yet.

The MX5100 is a nice tractor-- but I'm concerned that it may just not be enough tractor and that I will regret not getting something bigger. Bottom line, I'm looking for some guidance on how much tractor I need and whether 4wd is worth the extra cost.

/ How much tractor for my existing attachments? #2  
Is something wrong with the 4020? They were and are great tractors. I think most are still running and being used.

/ How much tractor for my existing attachments? #3  
Get the M7040 or the 5403 and go with 4WD and horsepower. That 2WD MX5100 is not what you want for your acreage and job list.

Good luck.

/ How much tractor for my existing attachments?
Is something wrong with the 4020? They were and are great tractors. I think most are still running and being used.

The hydraulic system failed and the pump froze up. I love the tractor but I'm looking at $3k to get the hydraulics repaired and then I still have a tractor with 10,000+ hours that needs an engine rebuild and new tires.

/ How much tractor for my existing attachments? #5  
Go with the Kubota. I have about the same needs and implements. Four wheel drive in my opinion is a must have. I use a Kubota M 6800 and it does great. I also have a Massey two wheel drive 40 horse and when using the same implements, it is very marginal, even scary on steeper ground. I definitely would get a 4 wd. And load the rear tires.

/ How much tractor for my existing attachments? #6  
You will find that 4WD will pay for itself in reduced slippage when using ground engagement implements. Should also reduce the number of time you'll be stuck. I'm somewhat surprised with that much acreage that you want to go smaller. You know what size will do the job - why risk getting a smaller tractor and then having to purchase smaller implements.

/ How much tractor for my existing attachments? #7  
I couldn't agree more on the 4wd , will never buy a 2wd again , been there and done that . I have the M5700 and it is a great tractor so I would look hard at the 7040 , if in good shape should do you fine .

/ How much tractor for my existing attachments? #8  
the 7040 with 4wd will have about the same or better traction as your old tractor. I think that's the right choice for you and existing attachments.

/ How much tractor for my existing attachments? #9  
If I'm looking to buy... I'm lookin' at the whole tractor. Transmission, clutch, hydraulics, seat, control layout....

Shuttle shift vs Powereverser. Dry clutch vs wet clutch. Air seat vs mechanical seat. Number of SCV's front and rear. Hydraulic pump gpm.

Planetary gear final drive vs spur, etc.

Then I wanna know I can work with the local dealer on part's and repairs or warranty work. If he ain't good.... Then I'd look at another dealer or tractor brand.

My $0.02

AKfish

/ How much tractor for my existing attachments? #10  
Those old 4020's were great tractors that were built to last a lifetime, and will pull just about anything. I've got a lot of hours of seat time on one.

With the 4020 as your reference point, I'd get the M7040 4wd and never look back. I think you would regret anything smaller. In fact, I'm sure the M7040 won't pull anywhere close to what the old 4020 would pull. The 4020 only had about 85 hp, but it weighed close to 10,000 pounds (and most of them had wheel weights and suitcase weights on them too), which is about twice as much as the 7040 weighs.

Does the 7040 have the hydraulic shuttle on it?