How much trailer weight can my tractor tow?

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #1  

Indian Territory

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland PowerStar 75
I've got a New Holland PowerStar 75. It's about 8,000 lbs counting the FEL. It's got 16.9R30s on the back. I'm able to add about 2,000 lbs with the front forks carrying a 275 gallon IBC tote for water weight and balance.

My question is, how heavy of a trailer can I tow using either the 3PH (~3,500 lbs capacity) or the draw bar itself. I'm not able to find anything concerning this rating online.

For planting and irrigating purposes, I'd really like to haul a trailer with dual 7,000 lb axles. I might even be able to carry more than one implement to the farm at a time. But I've never tried to pull a trailer with the tractor so I don't really know what I'm doing. Any help appreciated.

Note that I am not trying to tow the tractor ON the trailer, which I have no need for. Rather, I am hoping to tow the trailer WITH the tractor.

Last edited:
   / How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #2  
No answer, but I suspect you're about to be hit with questions about terrain (hills?) and whether or not your tractor has a brake controller.

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #3  
Towing from the drawbar is preferred, as the 3 point can rise up pretty much unrestricted based on negative tongue weight or terrain changes. On FLAT land I move my 7k RV on occasion with my much smaller Kubota L4060 without issue using the 3 point hitch for convenience of hooking up, but it is not without potential problems.
I suspect mfg trailer towing limits are based upon the overall mass of the tractor, brake controllers, and drawbar tongue weight. Whether applicable or not, the trailer towing limits from Kubota for the L6060 (smaller than your machine) are 6600lbs trailer, and 1430lbs drawbar weight (trailer tongue weight). For flat terrain I believe these numbers are overly conservative, and I exceed them on a regular basis with my L4060 (5500lbs trailer, 1430lbs tongue). All bets are off on hills.

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow?
Ah good point. I was sure I'd miss something.

My region is entirely flat, with only slight grades rarely.

The tractor has a 7-pin trailer connection. 6 around the circle, and one in the middle. The pins themselves are round, not flat blades. Unfortunately, none of this means much to me. I just don't know enough about trailers, but I'm trying to fix that.

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #5  
I pull my Kaufman tandem axle Gooseneck loaded with double row 4 x 5 round bales (grossly overloaded) all the time. I use a rear mount (on the 3 point) round bale spear with a 2 5/16" hitch ball welded to the top of the bale spear frame.

Easier to move rounds to the barn from the field that way and I've never had any issue with the front end getting light but then the tractors have the front end loaders mounted though the buckets are off.

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #6  
As has been said - its not so much - how much can your tractor pull on a trailer. It's more about - how will you control the load once its moving.

My M6040 weighs 9000 pounds when in the "trailer pulling" mode. It's more than a "thrill" to pull my fully loaded farm wagon around the property. One of these days I may get smart and put some form of electric brakes on my farm wagon.

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #7  
Considering that the speed is slow, brakes are not necessary.

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #8  
towing limits from Kubota for the L6060 (smaller than your machine) are 6600lbs trailer, and 1430lbs drawbar weight (trailer tongue weight).
Most drawbars I'm familiar with can be extended to various lengths, so be sure you know the length at which that tongue weight is spec'd. It might be at minimal extension.

Also, two axles as a farm wagon (front and rear axles, no tongue weight) is going to tow different than dual rear axles in a semi tailer configuration. I assume the OP has the latter, but they didn't specify.

The tractor has a 7-pin trailer connection. 6 around the circle, and one in the middle. The pins themselves are round, not flat blades. Unfortunately, none of this means much to me. I just don't know enough about trailers, but I'm trying to fix that.
To add to the confusion, many vehicles are equipped with a plug socket that can support a brake controller, but do not come equipped with a brake controller. For many years, pickup trucks and SUV's had this wired to a connector or pigtail under the dash, where the owner could connect their own brake controller. Some people would plug in, not really understanding what a brake controller is or how it works, and not know that they did not have a working system.

The good news is, if you're taking this thing on the road and want brakes, brake controllers are not expensive. Last I checked they were mostly $100 - $200, although my last few vehicles have all had them integrated from the factory. Around here, where it's hilly and your ass can get light going downhill, I'd consider brakes mandatory for taking this rig on the road. Where you are, much flatter, I'd say they're still desirable if doing any sort of over-road speed.

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #10  
I've got a New Holland PowerStar 75. It's about 8,000 lbs counting the FEL. It's got 16.9R30s on the back. I'm able to add about 2,000 lbs with the front forks carrying a 275 gallon IBC tote for water weight and balance.

My question is, how heavy of a trailer can I tow using either the 3PH (~3,500 lbs capacity) or the draw bar itself. I'm not able to find anything concerning this rating online.

For planting and irrigating purposes, I'd really like to haul a trailer with dual 7,000 lb axles. I might even be able to carry more than one implement to the farm at a time. But I've never tried to pull a trailer with the tractor so I don't really know what I'm doing. Any help appreciated.

Note that I am not trying to tow the tractor ON the trailer, which I have no need for. Rather, I am hoping to tow the trailer WITH the tractor.
The best answer I can give you is it depends. The tow bar is the best and most preferred way to pull a trailer. A 3 point can rise up uncontrolled. The biggest factor you need to look at is the tongue weight. And like the person earlier said terrain matters not to mention does the trailer have brakes (most when pulled with smaller tractors don't) I think this is why manufactures of tractors don't give a weight rating on the trailer size. Too many factors.