How much UTV do you need?

/ How much UTV do you need? #31  
I started off wanting a golf cart, mostly because of the quiet. Main use would be running back and forth to in-laws and up the road to the mailbox. But when I realized that we'd occasionally take it out in steep pasture areas or woods trails, the 48vdc electric Polaris Ranger EV made a lot more sense -

View attachment 510568

Curious what your EV cost, if you don't mind sharing, and what year it is?
Thanks,
CM
Nice color/machine, BTW.

/ How much UTV do you need? #32  
Oooops! Even that would have been a bit much for a Deere (turf) part.

It amazes me that people on here are always comparing UTVs and the initial cost but NEVER the cost of parts.

That's better but still outrageous! I'm in the market for a ranger 6x6 but it'll have the extended warranty

Brett

/ How much UTV do you need? #33  
That is electric? We dont have steep hills, but loose sand. Besides the quiet I think the golf carts are more comfortable than the UTVs.

Yes it is electric. And you can select 1, 2, or 4wd, so sandy terrain is no problem.

Regarding some of the other questions (at least for the Polaris Ranger EV); there are 8 12vdc batteries - the OEMs run nearly $200 ea, so a full replacement set is $1600. Mine is running "refurbished" electric forklift batteries that sell for about $50 ea..

Most folks seem to get about 3-5 years use out of a set. Lots of variation due to usage cycles, the quality of maintenance (or not), usage and storage temperature, etc..

I'm not a good source of info about range on a charge because we very rarely use ours for more than a mile or so. I believe with a good set of batteries, Polaris will tell you something like 10-15 miles with the running gear in 2wd mid-range mode. Lots of discussion/threads about it here - Polaris Ranger EV - RangerForums.net - Polaris Ranger Forum

Polaris has just begun to offer a Li-I model. They don't quite seem to have the bugs worked out yet! And from what I have heard, they are $$HIGH$$! Like $20-$21k. Some folks are going with an aftermarket Li-I conversion kit from "Voltronix". Voltronix DOES seem to have the bugs worked out. Quite pricey, but lots of great advantages.

I paid $6,000 last year. Mine was a "factory demo" 2010 model. There were still a few bugs in the 2010's (ex: charger connectors overheating), so if you go used, 2011 and up is best. I think that new MSRP is about the same as their gas models, so maybe $12-$14k?

I intend in the future to convert mine to Li-I after getting as much life as possible out of my flooded LA batteries. Hopefully the LI-I kit prices come down in a year or two.

/ How much UTV do you need? #34  
I was looking for a used golf cart for similar purposes. Wound up getting a 2017 Kubota RTV500 for ~$200/month. Seems perfect so far.

/ How much UTV do you need?
I was looking for a used golf cart for similar purposes. Wound up getting a 2017 Kubota RTV500 for ~$200/month. Seems perfect so far.

Jealous. That is what we really want, but I cant argue with how well this cart has been and kept up with flat abuse we give it.

/ How much UTV do you need?
Our cart may have died. Wife walked back to the house yesterday. Guess I will know soon enough.

/ How much UTV do you need? #37  
We got this a week or two ago. Recommend it however, it's not very sporty.

Brett

IMG_5637.JPG

/ How much UTV do you need? #38  
Brett, she's a real beauty. Don't worry, they can get sporty sometimes by accident!

/ How much UTV do you need? #39  
Brett, she's a real beauty. Don't worry, they can get sporty sometimes by accident!

Thanks. We love it so far. With the diff lock locked I haven't needed 4wd yet. These are more like tractors than utvs but sure handy

Brett

/ How much UTV do you need? #40  
Mine are sporty by purpose. The Ranger is now just my our the farm toy and my RZR Turbo is my fun machine for trips all over the country.

Attachments

• IMG_1348.JPG
    IMG_1348.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 117