How much weight is too much?

/ How much weight is too much? #11  
i would not worry about a tc18 being to heavy, i reguarally drive my b2400 over the tank and the field. i think u need to only worry about really heavy stuff.

/ How much weight is too much? #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( While my septic tank is outside the pasture, and away from anything heavier than my riding lawnmower, the drain field is in the front pasture, and i regularly mow over it with my NH 1920 or my 8n.. the 1920 is 3300 plus about 500 for the mower. I've got cacl in the rears on the 1920.. so add a couple hundered too.

I've never had a problem yet.

Soundguy )</font>

Couple hundred! Must be some TINY tires!

/ How much weight is too much? #13  
From what I have read the big concern about compaction on the leech field comes in the winter when the ground freezes. Of course then there isnt much reason to be driving over it.

/ How much weight is too much? #14  
I specifically asked the septic guy when he installed mine if it would be a problem to drive my tractor (I didn't have it yet but it was in the plan /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) over the drain field. He said not a problem at all. He highly recommended not using a large trac-hoe or dozer though.

/ How much weight is too much? #15  
TD,
Of course the guy that put it in would say no problem. If you squash it he will make more money fixing it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ How much weight is too much? #16  
Hey AndyM, for the record... I really like your picture of the 8n... One SWEET looking old tractor (had one myself and restored it - everything short of new rings). They are really nice old tractors. Wish I still had one but that just typifies the old adage of not knowing how good we had it until after we don't have it any more /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

/ How much weight is too much?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hey AndyM, for the record... I really like your picture of the 8n... One SWEET looking old tractor (had one myself and restored it - everything short of new rings). They are really nice old tractors. Wish I still had one but that just typifies the old adage of not knowing how good we had it until after we don't have it any more )</font>

Thanks. I really love that tractor. I just ordered a NH TC18. I think it'll have some "modern conveniences" that the old N's don't have though (like 4WD). I also have a non-running 2N in need of full restoration that I hope to get to some time next year.

/ How much weight is too much? #18  
slowrev,

I really hadn't thought of it that way but you might have a point there!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ How much weight is too much? #19  
TD,
I would think that your most reliable input would be from homeowners that have had to pay to have a squashed septic system fixed. And what caused it. Personally I have to worry big time about if mine quits. Sometime after mine was installed a maybe 4-5 ft of fill was added over it. So I guess mine is crush proof, and if/when it quits draining I will have to install a new one. On the good side that would be an excuse to buy a backhoe attachment /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ How much weight is too much? #20  
Slowrev,

I agree that your recommendation would provide the most sincere feedback. I was very serious in my inquiry to my septic guy as the area where my drain field exists still needs some clearing done. I firmly believe that he was giving me a truthful answer about the size of equipment that I can use in that area. I'll give my explanation why:

Due to new county regulations (the last 5 or 6 years) I had to have a non gravity type drain field installed with pipes, etc (same type as others have mentoned). Now this is ridiculuous as my septic designer (different company altogether) told me that my perk is as good as it gets using gravity by itself but the county will not let anyone install gravity type drain fields anymore. So even if I were to crush the existing pipes my drain field would function perfectly. My septic designer told me this and my septic installer knows that I am aware of this. So I have to assume (yes, I know what that means /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) that he's not too concerned about getting to redo my site

I live in the Seattle area and as you probably already know it rains here alot (except now when I really wish it would). I've never had ANY mud on my property. The whole property consists of rocks from sand up through giant sized ones.

So the moral of the story is that I drive my tractor up there alot. I guess I'll learn my lesson the hard way. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Take care.