How much wheel ballast is too much?

/ How much wheel ballast is too much?
I think I saw that one listed several weeks back; they aren't common in the state at all.
I don't think mine was offered before. It was on CL only a couple of days with a title of 'tractor $1'. I found it using SearchTempest but I don't think anyone else noticed it. Then he re-listed with the price reduced $1k. I jumped for the phone when I saw that.

Is this the one you saw? Yanmar YM 186D,4x4 with Loader , Box Scraper.

Mine isn't shiny like that. But its loader, box blade, power steering are genuine Yanmar and it cost half what that guy is asking.

This new one was even close enough to bring home via back roads on my 4x8 trailer. I'll never find another deal like this. It's what I considered would be ideal ten years ago when I needed a tractor for the orchard and bought the YM240. It has taken that long for this ideal model to turn up.

Here's a picture alongside the first YM186D I've had for four years. Ain't she purty? ... ... ... Well I was better looking thirty years ago too. :)

P1740122rYM186D-Both.jpg

/ How much wheel ballast is too much? #12  
Weight will make it a dog but on a 2WD loader tractor it can't be helped . Tiss the nature of the beast.

/ How much wheel ballast is too much? #13  
Looks like a Coldwater loader, but great looking tractor. I am thinking a high of about 5 K for the package.

I'm surprised that the $6500 shiny one I used for comparison hasn't sold - at least if he is willing to negotiate price. It has been listed for weeks. This model is the ideal size for horse stable work and many people in that demographic consider shiny pride of ownership to be part of the package, so he should have a ready audience in this region. I agree $5k should be his reasonable expectation.

I'll go over my neglected unit with rubbing compound sooner or later. It should clean up some. But unless I spend some money on bodyshop work and paint it never will be as pretty as that $6500 one.

/ How much wheel ballast is too much? #15  
And probably more, so that the loader is usable without hitching up a weight box. One final consideration, the Operator Manual recommends iron weights in preference over loaded tires, for maximum traction/pulling power. This was the reason I was thinking double iron weights then loaded tires only if needed. Maybe iron wheel weights then a weight box for loader work will be the best combination.

I don't know how much weight I'd have to ballast my 2wd 1510 with in order for the loader to be useable without a weight box, unless I just wanted to scoop some dry bark mulch or something else lightweight. The weight really needs to be behind the wheels. I put a carefully calibrated ;) pile of rocks into the weight box when I have the loader attached that probably ends up around 400 pounds. Or attach a hefty snowblower in the winter. I think you'll find that the iron weel weights plus the weight box for loader work is the way to go.

I did notice the engine putting more effort into going up small hills after I got my new loaded tires. On the other hand, the tires don't break traction when I'm pulling my finish mower up those hills anymore, either.

I don't know how much weight I'd have to ballast my 2wd 1510 with in order for the loader to be useable without a weight box... The weight really needs to be behind the wheels. ... I think you'll find that the iron wheel weights plus the weight box for loader work is the way to go.
Thanks. I think you are right. It came with a 4 ft box blade (genuine Yanmar!) that looks pretty HD, and heavy. Seller told me the tractor was never operated without it. I believe this because big rusty cotter pins were used, semi-permanently bent, at the implement ends of the 3-point arms.

Maybe I should mount one pair of wheel weights on the rear wheels and chain the other pair near the back of the box blade along with the 150 lbs of exercise equipment ingots shown in that first photo. (Post #1 above). If I can lift all that, it should counterbalance anything.

Incidentally re 3-point lift capacity - I've been studying the manuals while I solved electrical problems. I don't believe this but here's what I see listed for 3-point lift capacity:

3-point:
1168 lbs 'Max lift capacity'. Parts Manual October 1980.
926 lbs 'Max lift capacity @ 24" behind points'. Service Manual November 1983, and Operation Manual.

Tractor Total Weight, 4wd, 1539 lbs. All sources. (Plus loader in this case).