How not to skid logs

/ How not to skid logs
The manufacturer is making a new one for me. Here's a picture of the new design. The new design has a pivot mechanism built into it to help with the lateral load. I'm not sure about this - guess I'll wait and see how it works when I get it. It looks stronger than the original. I thought it should have more reinforcement near the 3pt hitch lower arms. I should get it pretty soon - so he may have added that already. Any comments are greatly welcomed.

I don't drag too many logs. Usually I just carry them with the grapple bucket, but some logs are too big or not in an area where I can drive with 10 feet hanging out of each side of the bucket.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• 572928-Tow Hitch Log hauler 001.jpg
    572928-Tow Hitch Log hauler 001.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 286
   / How not to skid logs #54  
That looks like a great fix. At least the hitch won't be the weak link now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How not to skid logs
Here's the finished product - now for a field test next week.

Attachments

• 573482-Tow Hitch Log Hauler 006.JPG
    573482-Tow Hitch Log Hauler 006.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 319
   / How not to skid logs #56  
I made a Skid Plate logger like the Quad Skidder ( www.montanajacks.com click on "Exclusive Products") and yours but out of cold-formed 3/16" and added a few hand grip holes along the front and sides for ease of handling. Also removed the grab hook from one end of the load binder and secured it to one of the chains with a cold-shut to keep it all together.

Did not need any side rails and unit seems to have held its shape after over 40 semi-green (beetle kill) 25 to 40' pondorosa logs winched or pulled over very rough rocky terrain.

Much of the log is being draged on the ground, so grinding in gravel is a bit of an issue when you buck it later over a more suspended log arch method, but it is Very simple and trouble free and really keeps the butt of the log from digging in. I winch a lot of logs up ravines or steep slopes, and it has worked perfectly for this application as well.