How often do you check your zerks (aka grease nipples)

/ How often do you check your zerks (aka grease nipples) #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
I grease my tractor regularly just like my momma told me. I check to insure grease is actually extruding from the greased pin/bushing and occasionally have to clean out or replace a clogged zerk.

What I haven't done before is regularly check the tightness of all the the zerk fittings on the tractor, loader and backhoe. What a surprise I had today when I noticed that one zerk was loose. I noticed only because I regularly scoop out grease and grit from around the zerk with a small screwdriver before attaching the grease gun. One zerk seemed to move so I stopped and fetched a nut driver to tighten it. While I had the nut driver handy I decided to check all the other zerks. To my amazement, about half were loose. Some needed just a quarter turn to snug but a handful were really loose requiring several turns. It was not only the recessed zerks that were loose. Several flush mounted nipples were loose too.

I suppose they loosen due to routine vibration. There did not seem to be any correlation with type of grease fitting or how frequently the pin moved. The loosest pins were on the backhoe stabilizers which move much less than most other parts of the tractor. Loader and backhoe zerks were loose. None of the few on the tractor itself were loose.

My tractor (Kioti DK40se with Woods BH90x) is seven years old. Except for the occasional zerk needing cleaning, I'd never checked them for tightness before. I will now.

/ How often do you check your zerks (aka grease nipples) #2  
If the zerk and receiving threads are in good condition and the zerk is installed properly, they will not loosen.

/ How often do you check your zerks (aka grease nipples) #3  
That was probably the first and only zerk you will ever have loosen.

/ How often do you check your zerks (aka grease nipples) #4  
I've had one loose zerk in thirty two years.

/ How often do you check your zerks (aka grease nipples) #5  
Iv had angle zerks on bushog ujoints loosen. I loctite them. Let em shake around enuf and the threads will suffer.

/ How often do you check your zerks (aka grease nipples) #6  
I've had 'em break off...never loosen though.

/ How often do you check your zerks (aka grease nipples) #7  
No, but I will check them next time. I grease.

/ How often do you check your zerks (aka grease nipples)
That was probably the first and only zerk you will ever have loosen.

Honestly, about half of the zerks on the BH were at least a quarter turn loose and several of the loader zerks were not tight too. I was amazed as I'd never heard of zerks loosening either.

I can only imagine that vibration causes it just like with subframe bolts and loader mounts. Maybe there is something unique about the way I detach the grease gun that loosens mine. Never heard of using a lock washer with a zerk so I do accept it is uncommon but there was no doubt that six or eight of the little devils were making a bid for freedom. None missing though.

Next time you grease, take a 5/16 and 7/16 nut driver with you and check.

/ How often do you check your zerks (aka grease nipples) #9  
I have seen a couple loosen up on a lawn mower spindle but that is about it. I will definitely check the ones an by MF 1529, especially since it is new and you never know what wasn't tightened properly at the factory.

/ How often do you check your zerks (aka grease nipples) #10  
only time i really pay attention to grease zerks tightness is when i get a new piece of equipment, and part of the initial run down of changing filters/oils, checking bolts, etc... if i find something loose i will generally give it some time after using equipment and then go back to what was loose (after i tighten things) to make sure it didn't come loose again. if it comes loose again, i end up checking further into the situation... bad threads, missing lock washer, not torquring stuff right, etc...

if i do happen to find something loose that should not be loose, then it is about time i also check everything else, and thats when i start finding extra stuff loose, it may only be 1 or 2 extra things. but... :/