How reliable are JD lawn tractors?

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #91  
I can give you my perspective for what it's worth...
Back in the day my dad sold Allis Chapmers...
We started out with B10's and wheel horses from the 60's and 70's...
With that said, the price point mowers of today are not as robust because they are less expensive...
Back in the 70's a B10 Allis would run your around $800 to $1000...
In today's dollars that is a lot of green...
When I moved back from Tenn in 85 I needed a good mower and spent over $5K on a Wheel Horse with hydro drive and a 20 HP Onan engine...
Great tractor that got stolen...
No issues...
After that I bought a Yanmar 1700 with a Land Pride 5' RFM and now I run a 1720 NH with a Woods 6' RFM...
IMHO, you are gonna need 5K to get a decent new mower...
If I was on a budget of 2K I would look for a used Cub Lo-Boy but that is just my personal preference...
Those things run and run and run and run...

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #92  
I checked my hour meter last night and indeed it is at 390 hours. That agrees well with the statement that the tranny is designed to last 200 hours. 390 and two trannys--you do the math. No more hydrastatics for me here in the mountains!

I'm with you Dan, my first ever JD rider had the (non-tough) Tuff Torq K46, even the X300 does. I am about done with Deere riding mowers. I am trying to find a make that produces a model with a 42" cut that does NOT have a hydrostatic tranny. If you find one let me know.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #93  
I checked my hour meter last night and indeed it is at 390 hours. That agrees well with the statement that the tranny is designed to last 200 hours. 390 and two trannys--you do the math. No more hydrastatics for me here in the mountains!

Sounds like you need a goat on a rope. :)

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #94  
John Deere 318, probably the best garden tractor ever built by Deere. You can run it for ever with the proper maintance. Having 2500 hours is not uncommon at all. A lot of people discount the onan engine, but properly maintained the only thing needed is the usual wear parts, oil changes, filters, voltage reg, etc. There is no comparision to any home depot or lowes John Deere and a 318. Pretty much what you bought at the big box store was the John Deere badge with a 5 year tractor attached to it.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #95  
My suggestion would be to step up to a larger model mower that has the k56 transmission that is serviceable and much heavier duty.

Several firms sell a K66 upgrade kit for the tractors built with the low cost K46.
If the rear tires don't bolt on with five bolts. It's a light duty toy lawn tractor, not a HD garden tractor.
We still use 1965 and a 1967 vintage JD 110's here.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #96  
John Deere 318, probably the best garden tractor ever built by Deere. You can run it for ever with the proper maintance. Having 2500 hours is not uncommon at all. A lot of people discount the onan engine, but properly maintained the only thing needed is the usual wear parts, oil changes, filters, voltage reg, etc. There is no comparision to any home depot or lowes John Deere and a 318. Pretty much what you bought at the big box store was the John Deere badge with a 5 year tractor attached to it.

Your right, there is no comparison between the two tractors, because your comparing two different things...

1983 price for a new 318
MSRP $4,999.00 with no deck.
46" deck added $589.00.

In today's dollars
$11,000..00+ - No Deck
$1,300.00+ - 46" Deck

JD Box store prices are $1,500.00 to $2,000.00, you could buy 6 to 8 of them.

PS, don't tell my 7 yr old JD box store tractor that it died two years ago. I need another three years out of it before I head south.:)

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #97  
I still use a 1985 112L for trimming around the house where the 6' finish mower wont go. My dad bought it used in 90 and I have been the main user since. Previous property was just under an acre. I bagged back then too. I think the oil has been changed 5 times. Hydro fluid never, just belts.

This was a small homeowners model back then, man they are tough. Just not that way anymore. I honestly can't believe it still mows. Just like has been said, step it up if you can and buy a better quality machine. Have known 2 people that tore up Home Depot Deeres, under an acre each.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #98  
PS, don't tell my 7 yr old JD box store tractor that it died two years ago...

LOL! Same here. My depot L-120 is 10 years old and doesn't know it.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #99  
IMHO, you are gonna need 5K to get a decent new mower...

I agree with you 100%. I also think that if you go to the higher end X7xx series, you have to consider a sub-compact tractor with belly mower. If you want to consider used, there are some real bargains in sub-compacts that will outlast most of us if taken care of. For $2500 or less, I still think the Kubota G1800, G1900, G2000 are great bargains. My G1800 I bought for $1800 is solid as a rock and the deck spindles are tight as a drum. I'm sure some of the old Cubs and Deeres are great bargains too. I just believe the high end of mowers of any brand are now competing with sub-compact tractors. Lots of things that are considered add-ons in the lawn tractors are standard in the sub-compacts for very little more or less if you consider used.

/ How reliable are JD lawn tractors? #100  
I also would look for a used Orange tractor. Kubota or Kioti. No reason to pay 25% more for a Green substandard one. You never see a contractor with a green tractor here and have not for many years, these are the guys who use them every day. I think at 100 HP + a Green one may be worth looking at.