How safe would you like your tractor to be?

/ How safe would you like your tractor to be? #1  

jaxs

Elite Member
Tractor
841 ford,MF65,Cub Lowboy,,Ford 600
More to the point,do you appreciate features that prevent pto operating while tractor is in reverse? IMO tractors,mowers,Z-Turns,backhoes,dozers and other machines are inherently dangerous for operator and anyone in the vecenity while machine is in operation. If one is struck by machine traveling in any direction,responsability is shared by operator and victim. If victim happen's to be mentally handycaped or underage,their guardian shoulder's victim's share of responsability. I am also of the opinion lawyers advise mfgrs to install all the so called protective devices knowing full well many owners will by-pass and dsiable them. The idea being that if a rock is thrown causing damage (or any number of other events) the mfgr is in better position to defend absence of deflector chains or other cost cutting decisions if sued and it can be proved the reverse,start in gear ect had been disabled by owner. Am I under appreciating what mfgrs do trying to keep me and mine safe or do I have a point when I say this is only another example of lawyers keeping mankind up trees like scared cats? I haven't ran over anyone nor plan to but I rely on good judgement and common sense,not on my tractor being idiot proof.

/ How safe would you like your tractor to be? #2  
I compare the Operator's Manual for my tractor and the Op Manual for my new Power Wagon. I was given a HARD COPY of the manual for my tractor. This manual is 90 pages long. The FIRST ten pages cover safety.

I was given NO Operators Manual for the Power Wagon. I knew to find it on the internet. But what if I didn't have access to the internet. The Op Manual for the Power Wagon is 800 pages. The safety section is 90 pages. I would need a heavy duty pickup, like the Power Wagon, just to bring home a hard copy.

It's JMHO but I think manufacturers are giving it a good try.

If we think more safety is needed in the operation of tractors. What about a class - offered by the dealers - on safe tractor operation. Many motorcycle dealers provide this training for new owners.

An awful lot of folks purchase a tractor and have no experience. Most will learn thru on-the-job experience. A small percentage will have bad experiences.

A few may find TBN and learn from others on the "do & don't".

/ How safe would you like your tractor to be? #3  
I have / had limited experience when I bought my tractor, and I'm still a newbie in many ways ... basically my experience was ride-on mowers, but in my teens I regularly visited my uncle's farm and learned to operate the Massey-Fergusson 135

When I bought my Kubota BX23S tractor-loader-backhoe about 3 yrs ago, the dealership offered what I called "tractor school" lasting about 3 hrs, manual reviews etc. They also paid attention to my special needs at the time of selecting a new tractor for my needs and planned usage. I had a few customizations requested/suggested/added also, to make things not only easier, but safer for me... a step was added to the left side (thereby reducing my step-up to 12 inches), and a grab handle was added to the ROPS so that getting on / off was easier. A customized and angled / bent "platform pedal plate" (not sure what to call it ?) joined the forward and reverse pedals together for me ... so it is more of a heel and toe operation. I have since added two LED lights for extra visibility - forward, and back. I think that wheel weights and / or spacers will be next, for stability. I have learned a LOT from these TBN forums.

/ How safe would you like your tractor to be? #4  
I would like no safety features that would prevent me from doing something like backing up with active PTO (which I can think of many applications where I would want to back up with it active).

Safety features like seatbelts, ROPs, or covers are very different and helpful IMHO.

/ How safe would you like your tractor to be? #5  
sea2summit - perhaps you need a utility tractor. The only safety feature on my M6040 - leave the drivers seat with the PTO operating. A buzzer goes off for around eight seconds and then nothing. The PTO never shuts down. I can back up the M6040 with the PTO going and there is no warning buzzer - nothing shuts down.

/ How safe would you like your tractor to be? #6  
leave the drivers seat with the PTO operating. A buzzer goes off for around eight seconds and then nothing.
My MF 1758 is "all or nothing" regarding a seat switch. Leave the seat; everything shuts down.

I never considered bypassing the seat switch-- until I bought a wood chipper. Then I realized I had no choice. It's now in bypass permanently, as I try to keep the chipper installed as much as possible. A warning buzzer would be better than nothing, but I don't have that option.

/ How safe would you like your tractor to be? #7  
Some of the safety features are smart and some are a PITA.

The one I hate the most is the PTO cover. On my tractor is makes it more difficult to put on the PTO coupling. I will be removing it this fall to mount the blower and put it back on when I take the blower off next spring. Seems it would be smart to design it QD instead of bolted into place but that would cost at least $5...LOL

/ How safe would you like your tractor to be? #8  
Luckily I don't have that on my massey. First thing I did to my craftsman gt was to remove that annoying feature.

/ How safe would you like your tractor to be? #9  
i love the fact that i have very few safety features in my cabbed dk45. i can stand outside and work the peddels forward or reverse to help attach implements without sitting in seat. it would truly suck to have to climb on and off. i would hate the tractor pto shutting down when reversing. i cant think of any reason you need to child proof the thing. thats what removing the keys does.

/ How safe would you like your tractor to be? #10  
Society would be far better off encouraging all youth to engage in a wide variety of activities as they learn to get them exposed to various types of machines, equipment and technologies. The more experience a person gains, under good guidance, the more common sense they will have. That will eliminate the need for the details (10+ pages) of safety info provided by lawyers that is typically ignored by 95% of people anyway. This starts with good parents. It also means that people who do not live in a metro area gain better experience because their lives are more varied.

To answer the original question: No, I don't appreciate those types of intrusive safeties.