How Steep?

/ How Steep? #11  
I can't remember to take my good camera, so I shot the slope with my phone. Here is a picture of the slope with my tractor on it.

Attachments

• #1-Rt.jpg
    #1-Rt.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 555
   / How Steep? #12  
JerryG said:
I can't remember to take my good camera, so I shot the slope with my phone. Here is a picture of the slope with my tractor on it.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Man, I'd need one extra pair of shorts for going up, one for turning around and another for coming down again. You'd never get me going up a second time in anything short of a PowerTrac slope mower!:eek: :eek: :D

/ How Steep? #13  
Actually the last twenty feet where the tractor is, I normally back up because the turn around isn't but about 5 feet wide. It is to steep to angle the tractor and still miss the building I have made my circle and went down at that end instead of up several time. I don't like to do it that way. What I usually do is mow going up and then loop and mow going back down. I leave my loader on so that the front will stay down. It is really tight. The bucket just misses the curtains on the building by about a foot or less. I have to mow that area 3-4 times every summer.

/ How Steep? #16  
JerryG said:
I'm afraid that there might be an erosion problem.:)

Hah, nothing a little concrete couldn't fix.:D How about growing a ground cover plant that doesn't need cutting?

/ How Steep? #17  
JerryG said:

Mornin Jerry,
Holy Cow !!! That looks like the incline on some of our mountains up here !!! ;) :)

/ How Steep? #18  
mcnitt said:
How steep is too steep for a small tractor to climb?

I will soon replace my MF 1220 20 h.p. tractor with something bigger. Some of my property is uphill, maybe 30 degrees, for a couple hundred yards. The 20 h.p. is underpowered and can't always get up the hill.

I drove a 35 h.p. Kubota with a backhoe on it recently, and it didn't seem to have a problem getting up the hill. I need a tractor with a loader and maybe a scraper.

Any ideas?
John,
I wanted you to see what kind of hill you can work on if you are careful. I wouldn't do it with the backhoe on. A compact tractor with a backhoe on is much to top heavy to operate on that steep of a hill. I don't know if a hydro would be able to operate on that steep of a hill or not because the transmission pickup might be sucking air instead of fluid.

/ How Steep?
Jerry - That's an awesome photo...And I think it answers the question very well!

/ How Steep? #20  
I suppose it's a case between your Dare factor & your Fear factor .
I had been up & down a hill at a friends farm in his JD4X4 , his 4X4 , my 4X4.
Then I took my 135 Down . OOoops , 6ft slasher on back , fair amount of
ballast on front , or so I thought . The dare factor was ok , down I went,
up other side , turned around came back , down ok , coming back up , the
fear factor kicked in a couple of times when the 135 front lifted . I only go
& check that section in my 4X4 . Safety mate , Safety.