How tight for drain plugs?

/ How tight for drain plugs? #1  

ScottW

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson GC2410TLB
I hit 50 hours today on my GC2410 and did the 50 hour service. I was a little bit anxious that something would go wrong and that I wouldn't be able to complete it, but I did. It feels good to have it done. And yes, I did use genuine MF parts and oil--no possibility of questions later! I couldn't believe how tight the front axle drain plugs and air hole bolts were. Maybe it was because I was breaking paint that covered the threads, or does the factory just really reef on those? I see there are torque specs for all the bolts, but I don't have a torque wrench for the high end needed for the drain plugs. Do you just go by feel? How would you describe the right touch?

The only other difficulty I had was the engine oil filter. I have an oil filter wrench that fit the transmission filter nicely, but was too big for the oil. Some stuffing material made it work. Now it's back to work moving large rocks for a couple of stone stairways!

The carpenters working on our house left a bunch of same-size triangles from cutting a lumber stairway stringer. I nailed the pieces together to make some nice chocks for holding wheels. I use them religiously now when parking on slopes, ever since Wacky's trouble!

/ How tight for drain plugs? #2  
They don't have to be real tight. Snug yes. IMO :)

A pipe plug in a casting can be horsed down where they are hard to start backing out. That tightness bugs me too, as to "why?".

Now an oil pan drain plug with a washer in a steel pan should be snugged up good and tight. But again, not to the point of stripping the threads.

Oil filters, recommendations I've seen are to hand tighten, then give another 1/4 or 1/3 turn.

/ How tight for drain plugs? #3  
Scott, I agree with beenthere- most drain plugs are pipe (tapered) thread, only need to be "snug+"
You might want to invest in a small strap wrench for smaller and/or odd-size filter cans- they work quite well. Craftsman makes a nice set.:)

Attachments

• 00945533000-1.jpeg
    00945533000-1.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 105
   / How tight for drain plugs? #4  
And yes, I did use genuine MF parts and oil--no possibility of questions later!

Now it's back to work moving large rocks for a couple of stone stairways!

Since your so concerned about your machine, you have accepted the premise that there is a risk in using anything other than MF products in it, I will assume those are not actually large rocks, or heavy stone stairs. Since, I'm sure you have also realized that exceeding the machines published limitations, (they will call that abuse), potentially can cause damage that will be clearly detected, and will also void the warranty.

/ How tight for drain plugs? #5  
I agree with beenthere. Just snug the bolts and then another 1/4 turn and u should b fine. The same with the filters.

Ray yes it is better to use the massey products in his MF and NO lift the rock will not void his warranty.

ScottW, Glad you are liking your tractor, hope you get many great hrs of use out of it.:thumbsup:

/ How tight for drain plugs? #6  
Just don,t do what my dad used to do,tight till you hear a ping then back off a quarter turn:laughing:Dave

/ How tight for drain plugs?
Thanks for the comments, guys. IrvingJ, I tried a strap wrench with a rubber strap like the one in your picture, but the rubber just stretched before the filter would turn. LIke the drain plugs, maybe it was put on overly tight. Ray66V, I think my work with rocks is well within the machine's capabilities. These are stones that I can roll or stand on edge to aid in getting them in the bucket. Even my dealer mentioned one of these machines is used in construction by another client. I've been impressed by the backhoe's ability to lift rocks.

As for genuine Massey fluids, I probably won't stick with them after the warranty runs out in 18 months. If something says it meets MF Permatran III specs, it does, right? Costco has 5 gallon buckets of "Tractor Fluid" for $42 that claim the match.

/ How tight for drain plugs? #8  
Ray yes it is better to use the massey products in his MF and NO lift the rock will not void his warranty.

You guys entirely missed my point, which was he gave the impression he was so worried about his warranty that he would not use anything except MF products. Yet, he was on appearance, suggesting he was exceeding the machines limitations, which can cause damage that will void the warranty. And that would be an obvious inconsistency. That's all I meant.

Yes, I know how tough these machines are, I have owned one longer than most of you. I also know they are not bullet proof.

Yes, you can break things over loading the machine. And unlike whose oil you used, they can often easily tell when you break something, if it was used improperly.

Do, you really think if your engine fails under warranty, (by the way none have so far on here), they are going to send a sample of the oil out to see if you used a MF product? I have done lots of warranty work, and I have never seen anything close to that.

The warranty calls for specific MF products, then it says "or equivalent" and gives the exact spec, the equivalent product needs to meet. It does not say "MF only". They would not have a leg to stand on legally, if you abide by their standards, and they refused to warranty it.

So far MF has been very good about covering things that broke. Even out of warranty.

I am not against using MF products. Some, like Permatran are very good. In fact, if your not going to use synthetic, I would even suggest you stay with Permatran.

I do not agree that it is "better" to use MF products. There are other products that are just as good, and in some cases, superior. As proof, I submit other than those who fear the warranty reaper, I would be willing to bet that almost no one uses their engine oil.

/ How tight for drain plugs? #9  
Ray,

I agree with you and wanted to add an additional thought about why we see the MF or equivalent for the fluids and use only genuine Massey Ferguson parts designations.

MONEY...cash flow to the dealer and above is what it really is about. Keep the customer coming back in the door of the dealership and buying more product. How many of our colleagues here on TractorByNet have made an impulse purchase when they went to the dealership? I know I am a member of this group too.

Massey is certainly not the worst offender in what I refer to as the nickel and dime syndrome. But it is definitely the nickel and dime syndrome. In this morning's USA Today there was a blurb about airline fees (kings of nickel and dime) saying the fees for things like checked bags, reservation, sale of frequent flier awards, and pet fees totaled $ 2.1 BILLION dollars for the second quarter of this year! And that does not even include the selling of on board stuff like drinks, food and pillows....rest room tokens too if they get the chance.

But I digress from your real point which I read as: Pay attention to how you use your tractor and be sure you don't do something it is not designed to do. The manual for my backhoe cautions against using the swing on the backhoe to backfill material but how many of us do exactly that? Or move the tractor around with the backhoe so we don't need to get off the seat. If you break something on the tractor doing something it is not designed to do the brand of fluid in the transmission will not help you to get warranty coverage for abuse.

Bruce