How to? Add Summit Hydraulics 3rd function valve to Kubota L4200 with LA680

/ How to? Add Summit Hydraulics 3rd function valve to Kubota L4200 with LA680 #1  

Lmbaunack

Tractor
Kubota L4200
Hello everyone!

I'm a seasoned Kubota (and Ford) user but have never delved into modifying hydraulics. Currently, I have a late '90's Kubota L4200 with LA680 loader. The joystick valve has 7 lines going to it so presumably it has Power Beyond ready to go.

Question, which lines are appropriately modified to add the Summit valve?

Photos attached of what I purchased. Thanks everyone! I learn visually so if anyone has an actual diagram that would be VERY helpful.

Summit kit I purchased: Universal Hydraulic Third Function Valve Kit w/ Joystick Handle, 15 GPM Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210904_105500854.jpg
    IMG_20210904_105500854.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20210904_105507617.jpg
    IMG_20210904_105507617.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 195
  • IMG_20210904_105622281.jpg
    IMG_20210904_105622281.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20210904_115954763.jpg
    IMG_20210904_115954763.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20210904_120001037.jpg
    IMG_20210904_120001037.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20210904_120007349.jpg
    IMG_20210904_120007349.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 200
   / How to? Add Summit Hydraulics 3rd function valve to Kubota L4200 with LA680 #2  
Check the shop manual for your tractor for a diagram. You can also use the parts diagrams on line at Messicks.

The PB from the loader valve will go to the other valves in the system, like any rear remotes, before ending up at the 3pt. Usually those are in the transmission case at the back. There should be two lines from the loade valve that go to the transmission case. One will be the tank line, the other PB.

/ How to? Add Summit Hydraulics 3rd function valve to Kubota L4200 with LA680 #3  
It shouldn't be that hard to figure out, but I've not seen that loader valve before. Does the loader valve have any marking next to any of the ports? Obviously, 4 of the lines are work ports for the loader and need not be touched. Then you have 3 left and you need to figure out where pressure input, tank, and power beyond are. Just looking at those pictures, I can't make head or tails out of them. I see a quick disconnect below the vale and one under the right side of the tractor. Does the third line also have a disconnect? I assume those disconnects are so you can easily remove the loader? Its just a curiosity.

Basically, you do nothing with the original incoming pressure line to the loader valve or to the tank line. All you do is disconnect the power beyond hose, attach the 3rd function incoming pressure line there and reconnect the loader valves PB line to the output of the 3rd function.

Sounds simple, right?

You might be able to use the new hoses provided and maybe not. My guess right now is a qualified "maybe." Depending on they hose ends, and how long of hoses you need, you might be able to get some adapters depending on what hoses ends you got and need.

/ How to? Add Summit Hydraulics 3rd function valve to Kubota L4200 with LA680
It shouldn't be that hard to figure out, but I've not seen that loader valve before. Does the loader valve have any marking next to any of the ports? Obviously, 4 of the lines are work ports for the loader and need not be touched. Then you have 3 left and you need to figure out where pressure input, tank, and power beyond are. Just looking at those pictures, I can't make head or tails out of them. I see a quick disconnect below the vale and one under the right side of the tractor. Does the third line also have a disconnect? I assume those disconnects are so you can easily remove the loader? Its just a curiosity.

Basically, you do nothing with the original incoming pressure line to the loader valve or to the tank line. All you do is disconnect the power beyond hose, attach the 3rd function incoming pressure line there and reconnect the loader valves PB line to the output of the 3rd function.

Sounds simple, right?

You might be able to use the new hoses provided and maybe not. My guess right now is a qualified "maybe." Depending on they hose ends, and how long of hoses you need, you might be able to get some adapters depending on what hoses ends you got and need.
Thank you! Yes, that is the hard part for me ensuring I don't cross lines and I actually figure out which one is the PB. The loader valve is OEM so I can see the diagram on Messicks. I have read in other forums that the valve is actually marked with colors (which mine is) but I don't think they were marked for that purpose of identifying which port is which, just to mark which hose connects where. I was able to match and order the same hydraulic fittings my tractor had from Summit using a printable fitting identifier which was really cool. Ultimately, I need to figure out the lower valve that has 3 lines on it and which goes where using the hydraulic diagram. I found the attached diagram that should explain it easy!

Attachments

• front block.png
    front block.png
    109 KB · Views: 143
   / How to? Add Summit Hydraulics 3rd function valve to Kubota L4200 with LA680 #5  
First thing: You will notice in the instruction page, the spool (item 3) should have the slot vertical. In your second picture the slot is not vertical. Fix it. Its probably not a big deal, but you might have a bit of fluid bypassing your loader. But it may just me being paranoid.

In your second picture the right hand hose should be the pressure to your loader valve and the left the power beyond from your loader. That left hose should be the one you remove from your loader valve and attach to the "P" port of the 3rd function. You then run your output of the 3rd function back to that lefthand port.

You are probably going to need some 90 degree fittings to make some of this work.

Out of curiosity, the remaining hose on your loader valve is the tank line. Where does the other end of that hose go?

Your next thing to do is figure out where you are going to mount this valve.

/ How to? Add Summit Hydraulics 3rd function valve to Kubota L4200 with LA680
First thing: You will notice in the instruction page, the spool (item 3) should have the slot vertical. In your second picture the slot is not vertical. Fix it. Its probably not a big deal, but you might have a bit of fluid bypassing your loader. But it may just me being paranoid.

In your second picture the right hand hose should be the pressure to your loader valve and the left the power beyond from your loader. That left hose should be the one you remove from your loader valve and attach to the "P" port of the 3rd function. You then run your output of the 3rd function back to that lefthand port.

You are probably going to need some 90 degree fittings to make some of this work.

Out of curiosity, the remaining hose on your loader valve is the tank line. Where does the other end of that hose go?

Your next thing to do is figure out where you are going to mount this valve.
Thank you! The tank return is the 3rd line in the back of that front block. The slot is currently turned because the loader is not attached. I'll compare these with this answer. Thanks again!

/ How to? Add Summit Hydraulics 3rd function valve to Kubota L4200 with LA680 #7  
Thank you! The tank return is the 3rd line in the back of that front block. The slot is currently turned because the loader is not attached. I'll compare these with this answer. Thanks again!
Well, it ain't horizontal and it ain't vertical. Make it whichever it needs to be. If there is no implement, then it should be Horizontal and its not.