How to balance load on a dual axle trailer

/ How to balance load on a dual axle trailer #11  
Gordon,

When I was hauling my JD 4520, on a trailer that weighed itself over 2500# I backed the tractor on. Even with a 4n1 bucket on the front, the tractor with loaded tires was rear end heavy. I could not pull it for enough forwards to prevent it from unloading the rear of the truck. I made the mistake once, and stopped after about two miles to reverse the tractor. It made a big difference. Some RV pullers and long distance pullers use the load sensing hitches. I never have used one, but I have heard they work nicely. Your tractor is not that heavy, but it is heavy enough to steer itself on your trailer. I would try backing it on first, see if that helps a bit. It might make your ride more stable without you having to pull the tractor all the way to the front of the trailer.

John M

/ How to balance load on a dual axle trailer #12  
It may be cheaper in the long run to get the 4 wheel brakes. You have to do a lot of trailering to wear out the brakes on a trailer, but it wouldn't take long to wear out the brakes on your tow vehicle if it has to do more of the braking.

/ How to balance load on a dual axle trailer #13  
You should also consider a weight distribution hitch. It has two arms that go from the trailer to the receiver on the truck. It distributes the weight evenly on the truck not just on the back end. It also helps prevent sway and makes the ride smother.

/ How to balance load on a dual axle trailer #14  
If the trailer has leaf springs, there is an equlaizer bracket connecting the front spring to the back spring. I watch this equalizer pivot towards the truck, this tells me there is more weight on the front trailer axle. I cant tell how much it should pivot its just an eyeball thing. If I had to give a number I would say 10 - 20 degrees from the unloaded but connected to the truck position.

/ How to balance load on a dual axle trailer #15  
I have usually seen recomendations for 10-15 percent of the trailer weight on the tongue. In your case, that would be 525 - 785 lbs on the tongue. I saw one post where the thought was to start loading bags of material on your tail gate until you had the right weight and then measure the distance to the ground. Un load it and measure again. This would be the correct deflection when you had the proper tongue weight.

/ How to balance load on a dual axle trailer #16  
The tandem axle trailer is not two separate independent axles. They share a goofy center suspension support to allow the axles to evenly carry the load between them even if the tongue is high or low. It is amazing to go over speed bumps since the trailer stays level and the axles articulate over the hump. Regardless, both brakes having axles is superior.

My trailer, a 10,000 lb rated car hauler type bumper pull trailer had directions for loading. The axles are set at a particular location such that an even application of cargo across the trailer deck would give the ideal 10-15% tongue weight. Empty, the trailer weighs 2500 lbs with 250 of that as tongue weight. Pretty good. Too bad I don't know the center of gravity of the tractor or I would center that over the centerline of the deck, instead I try and center the load on the trailer to start and be sure that there is a good settlement of the ball.

To fine tune I go to a closed weigh station on the highway. These are most often closed but they leave the scales on and visible for people like me. Loaded with my 4500 lb tractor I have a 7000 lb trailer so shoot for just over 700 lbs on the tongue. Then take a marker and mark the trailer deck with the location of the bucket lip or something else that will make it easy next time.

I also adjust my hitch head to be sure that the trailer rides level just so that the ball is in the center of its operating range, butt is not dragging, and to keep everything looking right.

I am a big believer in the weight distributing hitch and the hitch has a setup procedure too that involves the weigh station so I spend a good bit of time there adjusting things. Once everything is set right, just use it.

Attachments

• 857811-j1.JPG
    857811-j1.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 734
   / How to balance load on a dual axle trailer
Your rig looks to be the same approx size as mine. The rear tires are centered directly between the trailer axles. Does that match up with everyone else who has replied and helped me? JD 790 which is the same physical size as almost everyone elses 28-32HP on a 16' trailer. The back 3' of the tractor has all the weight of the tires, rims, fluid, fenders, seat and the rear end gears. I assume all that weighs 1500# in just the last 3'. If so, then almost half the entire load is located between the axles which are about 3' apart also. I like your heavy use of the new DOT colored tape.

/ How to balance load on a dual axle trailer #18  
BNC, I've heard the same story, only 3 - 4 big guys were used instead of bags of sand/cement/whatever. Less work....

/ How to balance load on a dual axle trailer #19  
The tractor and trailer were new in that photo. The manufacturer, PJ Trailers, installed the DOT tape all over. I rather like it. It also runs across the entire tail. The trailer has been a source of great pride. It is a work of art.

It is real weird, I go over speed bumps on my commute and the front of the truck goes up and over then the rear end and then the trailer just floats over it.

That's an 18' trailer including the 2' dove.

/ How to balance load on a dual axle trailer #20  
Check your state regs. Some states require brakes on all axles. I load my trailer so that my truck bumper is an inch to 2 inches lower than what it was before loading. I have a F250 4WD.