How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius?

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius? #61  
   / How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius? #62  
Thanks for posting the photo. That is wha got me thinking about this project again.

You are welcome! The scoops work well... I don't know how well they would work in rocky soil though. One with teeth maybe needed then...

Mine is basically like a giant sharp nosed shovel.

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius? #63  
Are there any propane companies near you. When they take large tanks out of service they usually sell them for scrap. My co-worker picked up a bunch of them a while back for $50 each. They were 36" in diameter and either 1/4 or 5/16 thick.

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius? #64  
Press brake.

You could have it bent up in under an hour. Locally that'd be $40. Cutting it into segments and welding would cost more than that in materials, let alone time.

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius? #65  
Are there any propane companies near you. When they take large tanks out of service they usually sell them for scrap. My co-worker picked up a bunch of them a while back for $50 each. They were 36" in diameter and either 1/4 or 5/16 thick.

That's a great idea.

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius? #66  

Make sure you purge the tank with dry ice or carbon monoxide from a vehicles exhaust before you break out the cutting torch!

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius? #67  
Here is me bending a piece of plate approximately the same thickness and size as what your wanting to do, actually in the yard, with nothing more than a torch, welder, tape measure, soapstone, and a couple pieces of scrap angle iron. This was a replacement bucket for a 30" pond scoop. David from jax

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius?
sandman2234 said:
Here is me bending a piece of plate approximately the same thickness and size as what your wanting to do, actually in the yard, with nothing more than a torch, welder, tape measure, soapstone, and a couple pieces of scrap angle iron. This was a replacement bucket for a 30" pond scoop. David from jax

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v177/sandman2234/?action=view&current=MVC-014F-1.jpg

You say you used both torch and welder. Did you bend the angles using heat or did you cut and weld to get the angles?

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius? #69  
You say you used both torch and welder. Did you bend the angles using heat or did you cut and weld to get the angles?

I was wondering the same thing

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius? #70  
Originally Posted by muddstopper
You probably wont like my suggestion, but I know it will work. If you run a bead of weld the lenght of the metal, it will start to curve. Move over about an inch and run another bead and then repeat until you have the curve you want. Start in the middle of the sheet of metal and alternate from each side of the first weld as you work yourself toward the outer edges. Yep, lots of welding and a rough surface when you are thru, but it will work.

I would imagine just gas heat applied in a similar fashion would work too and be less messy.

Ya, but if ya used hard facing rod...