How to build a 5 foot disk?

/ How to build a 5 foot disk? #1  

Sirius

Tractor
ford
I'm considering having my buddys dad build me a 5 foot wide disk for my JD 2520. I'd like it to raise and lower with the 3 point arms, so not just a pull behind one on a hitch.
Any suggestions, or ideas I should pass by him before he builds it? He's into building all kinds of stuff, so it won't be a problem for him, but I'm sure he'll want some dimensions and stuff.....so is 5 foot about right for my 2520?

Should he build the disks so they are offset, and have the front set throw the dirt in and the back ones throw it out?

I'm just looking for suggestions right now!

/ How to build a 5 foot disk? #2  
I'm considering having my buddys dad build me a 5 foot wide disk for my JD 2520. I'd like it to raise and lower with the 3 point arms, so not just a pull behind one on a hitch.
Any suggestions, or ideas I should pass by him before he builds it? He's into building all kinds of stuff, so it won't be a problem for him, but I'm sure he'll want some dimensions and stuff.....so is 5 foot about right for my 2520?

Should he build the disks so they are offset, and have the front set throw the dirt in and the back ones throw it out?

I'm just looking for suggestions right now!

There are numerous kinds of disc--single axle, double axle V style (offset disc) for primary tillage, 4-axle X style (tandem disc) for secondary tillage (i.e. discing after the ground is plowed). Just google "tandem disc" and look at the pictures and then visit a tractor dealer and eyeball the actual thing.

Good luck.

/ How to build a 5 foot disk? #3  
I built a 5' disk a number of years ago didn't use it much so I sold it about 4 years ago and have wished ever since that I had not sold it! I went to a local tractor dealer that had a used Woods 5' disk took my tape and protractor made some drawings. I started with a 6' set of drag disks that a friend gave me and used the disk plates and axles and made the rest. so find a set and measure them up and make some drawings. Mine had the front sets of plate throw the dirt opposite the rears. but I cant remember witch threw the dirt in or witch threw it out. They did work great though! I sold them just before people started putting in food plots for deer! I wish I had them back!

/ How to build a 5 foot disk? #4  
I built this for my 790 from 1/2 of an old JD drag disk, 5' wide. ~~ grnspot

Attachments

• HPIM2260 (Small).JPG
    HPIM2260 (Small).JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 373
  • HPIM2261 (Small).JPG
    HPIM2261 (Small).JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 230