How To Build A Traditional Hay Stack?

/ How To Build A Traditional Hay Stack? #41  
Doubt if a sweep would work.

A loader with long teeth and a grapple may work ???:)

/ How To Build A Traditional Hay Stack? #43  
Hmm. All this has me rethinking how I handled some large bales that got the bottoms soaked. 4'x4'x8'. Fortunately it was my Wife that made the mistake (her horses). I was attempting to set the hay up to dry out, which didn't work well enough, as I later manually pulled the wet/moldy part off.

My original efforts: I drove forks mounted on my loader (thank God for Bobcat and quick attach mounts) into the tops of the bales (avoiding cutting the tie strings). Then pushed large ratchet (hay) straps through the slots, using the fork bottoms to push pine 1x4 boards I had handy (I put the strap hooks over the ends of the boards). I wanted to split the bales into squares (versus rectangles) and set the new bales on pallets, then loosen the ratchet straps so the bales could sit in the sun, get some air under/into them and dry out. Theory versus reality.

But cutting the bottoms with a chain saw running canola oil and biodegradable 2 stroke oil would work. Outside of course. You could lay a tarp to the side of the bale you are keeping. Sounds a lot more time efficient than a saw (though if I ever see one for sale locally, I might just have to buy it). Then you might be able to salvage some of the hay (while freshly wet it could be fed to the horses, and maybe even dry out enough to salvage).

/ How To Build A Traditional Hay Stack? #44  
It looks like feeding the hay with the sweep will be a little iffy. If I ever get one built, I'll just have to experiment.
My use for a hay knife would be to split a bale so I could get a bale and a half into each of my two hay rings. I think it'll just be easier to buy another ring. Thanks to everyone for your advise.

/ How To Build A Traditional Hay Stack? #45  
If you have the loader you must have a bucket. I expect if you add a graphel fork to it that should work. Dads was the same bucket we used for moving manure.

/ How To Build A Traditional Hay Stack? #46  
I got my old hay cutter out (has 3 non-serrated sickle mower teeth) and cut some hay. Not as hard as I thought it would be (not sharpened either). I cut some hay in an opened bale and on some that was on the ground.

/ How To Build A Traditional Hay Stack? #47  
This advise you gentlemen give from your first hand experience is really helpful and might save me time and money.

/ How To Build A Traditional Hay Stack? #48  
Re: Putting it up loose

That is the way my Dad worked his hay towards the end. Got a neighbour with a stack mover to place the stacks in the feedlot. Then there was a movable Stantioned type fence that allowed the cattle to feed. Pretty simple machinery and low manpower:thumbsup:

Egon,
How did your father handle the potential mud problem caused by the cattle standing in nearly the same place as they fed?

Last edited:
   / How To Build A Traditional Hay Stack?