How to catch 11 gallons of oil?

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #41  
On my L3540HST, which holds 11 gallons I think, but I can only get 8 out of it. I drive up on 2x6 ramps I make, which gives me enough height to put 3, 5 gallon

pails under it. I drain the two side drains first, which give me 1 1/2 gal each, then I drain the main plug in the last pail and that is almost 5 gallons. No mess

at all.

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #42  

I use one of these:

1615234715446.png
... and one of these:
1615235007154.png

Homz Latching 10.625 in. H x 16 in. W x 28.75 in. D (approx 20 gal) Stackable Storage Box - about $15 at Ace - and a
1 Gal. Pitcher - about $3. First, I put a big, flat piece of cardboard on the shop floor to catch any drips or splashes and to make sliding a tubbafulla oil a little less jerky. The lid goes on after the fluid has drained and also helps keep the oil from sloshing out when I slide it out from under the machine. I use the pitcher and a funnel to transfer the oil into the empty HST containers after the tractor's been refilled. When I'm all done the pitcher goes into the tub, the lid goes back on and the whole shebang gets tossed up into the storage loft, so it's ready for the next truck or tractor oil service.

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #43  
I, too, have one of those 45 gallon blue plastic barrels, cut down to about 11-12”. I actually left material on each side to form handles, above the main vessel.
I also back the tractor up on a couple 6”X6” blocks, then lift the front end up with the loader and wedge jack stands under the front axle.
But, I can see using a tote instead of the plastic barrel. I use one to fetch fuel from the gas station. No matter how careful I try to be, I’ll slop a couple drops and the truck stinks for a week, so I put my three square 5-gallon jugs into a big, shallow tote.
Great idea with the pitcher to bail the used oil back into the pails.

Last edited:
   / How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #44  
Hi all -

Sorry if this is obvious to most, but what is the best way to catch almost 11 gallons of oil during an hydraulic oil change? I really don't have good clearance under the tractor to put anything more than a 5 gallon bucket (and even that is so tight that it would be hard to get the bucket out from under the tractor once it is full).

What obvious solution am I missing here?

Any other tips for a someone during a complete oil change on a new TYM 574 for the first time? E.g. I know the hydraulic oil filter is on real, real tight, so I have assembled an assortment of oil filter wrenches to hopefully tackle that issue.

Thanks!
I second what desert eagle wrote. A large tote that will fit under your tractor.

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #45  
I went to TSC and bought one of those rubber / silicone 16 gallon totes, in a wonderful turquoise color I might add. I set it under the hydraulic drain and let it fill up. I then fill my tractor and pour the oil from the tote back into the buckets that I used to fill the tractor. I think the tote was around $18.

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #46  
My first hydraulic oil change = 16+ gallons. So ...... I did a "dry run" using 5-gallon plastic buckets. Then it hit me - this is gonna be a bloody mess!!!

The wife has several Tupper Ware quilt storage tubs. They are 25 gallon. Yes - I did buy her a new tub.

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #47  
My first hydraulic oil change = 16+ gallons. So ...... I did a "dry run" using 5-gallon plastic buckets. Then it hit me - this is gonna be a bloody mess!!!

The wife has several Tupper Ware quilt storage tubs. They are 25 gallon. Yes - I did buy her a new tub.
Ah! I used my wife's Tupper Ware cake saver for an oil change once 20 years ago. I still hear about it.

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #48  

I use one of these:

View attachment 689286... and one of these:View attachment 689289

Homz Latching 10.625 in. H x 16 in. W x 28.75 in. D (approx 20 gal) Stackable Storage Box - about $15 at Ace - and a 1 Gal. Pitcher - about $3. First, I put a big, flat piece of cardboard on the shop floor to catch any drips or splashes and to make sliding a tubbafulla oil a little less jerky. The lid goes on after the fluid has drained and also helps keep the oil from sloshing out when I slide it out from under the machine. I use the pitcher and a funnel to transfer the oil into the empty HST containers after the tractor's been refilled. When I'm all done the pitcher goes into the tub, the lid goes back on and the whole shebang gets tossed up into the storage loft, so it's ready for the next truck or tractor oil service.

For baling oil I just use a used 2 gal oil/hydraulic fluid jug with the bottom cut off --- and the cap still on of course.