How to change loaded tire?

/ How to change loaded tire? #11  
<font color="blue"> You described pretty much what my game plan was, ie move the tractor up & down to line up with the wheel. </font>

I use the side supports on the backhoe to jockey the tractor to the right height. It can sometimes be a bit of a trick to get the holes lined up, but trying to lift one of those loaded tires is pretty painful /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I've actually put the backhoe on for the sole purpose of changing tires.

But a good floor jack should allow you to do the same thing. Get the bolts at the right height and then the "only" thing you need to do is get the wheel at the right position to line up the holes.

They never line up right. And I've put one nut on (loosely) with the other holes completely wrong and then raised or lowered the axle to get the other holes in line. It ain't my idea of a good time /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif...

/ How to change loaded tire? #12  
I have to take off/ put on a dual on my big tractor several times a year. It's not filled, but taller than I am, and would crush any bathroom scale.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I do it by myself, pretty much like Beenthere & your plan.

It does help to have someone running the jack. But ONLY if they are familiar with the jack operations, understand the principle of what you are doing, and very, very well understand the idea of being safely out of the way when doing such an operation.

My wife likes to help my with farming chores, but this is one operation I like to do alone - it is much safer. I roll that (400lb?) wheel 50 feet out of the shed, line it up on the tractor, & get the bolts started all on my own - pretty easy to do. The first year I used the loader & a chain to carry it & line it up - that was harder!

The thing is, I stand behind the treads of the wheel when rolling it, never on a flat side, and if it should lean over, I'll let it drop, I'm out of the way!!!! I find this operation much safer with only me to watch out for, if a second person is around, I'd have to worry about where they are, and 2 people rolling a heavy tire tend to make it harder to balance & control - pulling in 2 directions.

In any case, plan ahead, and be safe.

--->Paul

/ How to change loaded tire? #13  
Obviously, that tire dolly would be the nicest thing, but I have used a rolling floor jack, and ballanced the tire on it.. works almost as well.
Alternately, I've used a regular heavy dolly.. like for fridges an d such... roll the tire under.. hold it verticle with your one arm, and slowly start tilting the dolly back with the other arm. As the dolly tilts back, the bottom lip pushes the tire up. line it up and slide it on a stud to hang, then get one nut on fast!

Good luck.

Soundguy

/ How to change loaded tire? #14  
hazmat,
Beentheres method works just fine. the only thing I could add is... setup up the stud and wheel hole such that one stud and hole is on top at 12 o'clock. then (having two people helps) lower the tractor so that the stud is about 1/2" below the wheel hole. have the second person sloooowly raise the tractor while you push on the wheel. It should pop right on when you hit centerline, continue to raise the tractor another 1/2" to help keep it on the stud. Good luck.

/ How to change loaded tire? #15  
Simple, Cheap & Dirty, use a 2 foot long section of skatewheel conveyor with the wheels on the floor & the tire on the conveyor frame, and a helper on the jack handle, it's a lot less expensive than the hydraulic tire lift. You use a tapered drift or tailbar to line up the bolt holes, and tire changes become real easy.

/ How to change loaded tire? #17  
DID THE CFO get angry when u rolled that tire into the bathroom to put it on the scale? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif(sorry could not resist) seems like u have all the right equipt to do it, but would also suggest you have another pair of hands close by, i used a chain fall to raise and lower the tires on my ford 2n, once they are up and on the threads they are much easier to handel.but was still easier AND safer with someone to help.

/ How to change loaded tire? #18  
Simple. Just pull up (or back up, depending on which end they are on) your tractor with the pallet forks and lift the tire into place. Wait -- that would mean you'd have to have a second tractor. OK - put that in the file marked "Great reasons to have 2 tractors"...Hey! If you got one for your wife, then you could sleep where you belong, both of you happy that your tractors are sharing the shed. Ain't it romantic?

/ How to change loaded tire? #19  
I just stuck the same size foam filled R4's on last night.

I have a loader, so could basically use the FEL to make the major adjustments in the tractor/axle height.

To do the minor adjustments, I rolled the tire up onto two 1.5" boards. To make even more minor adjustments to line up the bolts, I used thinner pieces of wood as basically shims.

Worked okay; got them back on at least.

/ How to change loaded tire? #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "Great reasons to have 2 tractors )</font>

When I was putting the hood/doglegs/gas tank assembly back on my 8n, I used the boom pole and my 1920 to do the grunt work while I justed used some guide ropes to swing the stuff around.. deffinately easier with 2 tractors...