Oil & Fuel How to change oil and filter on MF-135?

/ How to change oil and filter on MF-135? #1  

Daelric

Tractor
MF 135
Hi all!

I recently acquired an old MF-135 tractor with a new property I bought this summer. She's a great machine and I've already used her a ton this summer plowing up a garden patch, mowing brush, and dragging logs and the like.

Now with the cooler weather, I'd like to treat her right and take good care of her. The previous owner left me the Operator's Manual with written instructions on the front cover of what type of oil and filter to get, so I have all that ready. Now, however, I'm at a bit of a loss of where to go from here. The problem is that my tractor engine does NOT look like the one in the Operator's Manual with regard to where the oil filter is. So, I could use some help identifying some parts of my tractor!

Here's the first pic, of the left side of the engine.
left.jpg

In this photo, the parts I was able to recognize from the manual are the red arrow (for filling the crankcase with oil) and the green arrow (the dipstick to check the oil level). However, the picture in the manual shows the oil filter off to the right of the dipstick, and as you can see there is nothing there. I thought that maybe the canister that the yellow arrow points to was the filter, but when I removed the bolt on the top the fluid was RED, and I couldn't get the top off, even though it looks like a lid and should be able to come off to me. Since it didn't look like oil, I stopped here and decided to take these pictures and ask people around here for some guidance.

The next picture is of the right side of the engine.
right.jpg

Looking all over the engine the only thing I could see that might be the oil filter housing is in this picture, with the orange arrow. Am I correct in this assumption? If so, WHAT is that other housing on the other side of the engine with the red fluid in it when I removed that bolt from the top?

At this point I also realized that I wasn't exactly sure how to drain the crankcase. There are 2 possible candidates. One is a very large bolt on the left-bottom side of the crankcase, as seen in this picture:

under left.jpg

The other candidate is in a more traditional location for a drain (i.e. right in the middle on the bottom) but it seems to me to be in a bit of a funny place, quite far back and VERY close to a major joint of the engine, as seen in this picture:

under.jpg

Any help on this stuff would be much appreciated!

As an aside, I would also love some tips on how to clean the old girl up. I used it quite a bit this summer and now, as you can see from the photos, she;s pretty greasy and dirty. What do people generally use to clean this gunk up?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

/ How to change oil and filter on MF-135? #2  
Hey D. first of all there there two different gas engines used on the F. 135. You have the Continental Z145 engine (assuming you have a tach and hour meter guage...) Yes, the right side of the engine with the orange arrow in it is the oil filter. The oil drain is the pretty good sized bolt head on the left side of the engine at the bottom of the crankcase. You fill the crankcase from the left side at the front of the engine. the fill hole is the unit that has the "T" on top of it in front of the power steering resevoir (yeah, that's what that thing is that has the red fluid in it). Your dipstick is just below the power steering hose (hope you've been checking it regularly). Get the right op manual and a service manual and you'll be OK. The crankcase takes 5 quarts and yes, change the filter...you can get it at the local AGCO dealer. Do you know the year of your tractor...by looking at the air filter, I'd say its a pre-1967.. that year they changed the orientation of the air filter. get us the serial # of the tractor and we can help some more. Good luck BobG in VA

/ How to change oil and filter on MF-135?
Hi BobG_in_VA, thanks so much for your reply! That helps a lot, and now I can get the oil and filter changed.

Here's a pic of the serial for my tractor:

serial.jpg

Hopefully I can track down a service manual for my particular make/model, because I'd like to check and make sure ALL fluids and everything are good to go on the old girl.

Daelric

/ How to change oil and filter on MF-135? #4  
Hi BobG_in_VA, thanks so much for your reply! That helps a lot, and now I can get the oil and filter changed.

Here's a pic of the serial for my tractor:

View attachment 449317

Hopefully I can track down a service manual for my particular make/model, because I'd like to check and make sure ALL fluids and everything are good to go on the old girl.

Daelric

The operator manual for the MF135 is free here

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/m...ml#post4303036

You'll find the info you need to service your tractor there.

Get the factory manuals (parts and service) from AGCO.

https://www.agcopubs.com/

My MF135 was a 1964 diesel deluxe model with multipower. Sold it late last year after 9 years of ownership.

MF135 stump1 (1).JPGMF135 stump2.JPG

Good luck

/ How to change oil and filter on MF-135? #6  
If you decide not to convert to a spin on filter, be sure you get the rubber ring filter seal and be very careful to make sure it's in the right place when you go to tightening it.