How to clear Mesquite

/ How to clear Mesquite #13  
Mesquite and Huisache eradication is an ongoing battle in South Texas. More and more people are going to the Brush Busters method which calls for mixing small portions of herbicide with diesel and applied to the leaves of young plants and the base of older ones. The best success I've seen with chemical applications on mesquite has been Reclaim and diesel. It's a little pricey but saves time and labor of having to re-apply like you would with other chemicals. Mowing is great if you want to turn one plant into a hundred. Dozing is ok if you get up under the root ball. That attachment in the video is a great idea and I'd like to see more studies on kill rates using that method. I've also seen big ranches drag heavy ship chain between two dozers which pretty much has the same effect as mowing. If you want to farm or bale the land at a later date, I'd suggest you be patient and wait for the chemical to do its work which might be 1.5 to 2 years but you can just go up and push them over at that point.

/ How to clear Mesquite
The biggest problem with Mequite, Prickly Acacia and Parkinsnoia is the lack of money. There is 11 million acres of Prickly Acacia alone in the state of Queensland. Farmers cannot aford to deal with it, Governments won't even though they sold the seeds to the farmers so the BS just keeps going round in circles.:(

/ How to clear Mesquite #15  
That attachment on the excavator is the same as what we call a root plow which is pulled behind a tractor or dozer and would be far more efficient in higher density brush than what is in the video. I pull a 2.5' root plow behind my little tractor about 12-16" deep and it does the trick, but is a slow go. We have farmers pulling 8' root plows behind 200+hp tractors and they knock it out pretty quick. The d7 dozers pull 16' plows and blow through a pasture in no time.

/ How to clear Mesquite #16  
You guys can laugh if you want, but the time tested and proven way to eradicate any plant is to have my wife try to keep it alive. :eek:

/ How to clear Mesquite #18  
I've been clearing mesquite on our small lot for a few days with my dad's little Allis Chalmers dozer. He built a grubbing attachment that extends about 12" below the blade that I use to get under the root ball and bring everything up. Works well, but would be very slow on large acreage.

Here is what I've been doing...

005-9.jpg

004-8.jpg

006-11.jpg