How to convert Cat 2 Brush Hog for Cat 1 Tractor

/ How to convert Cat 2 Brush Hog for Cat 1 Tractor
The 609 frame which holds the lower pins is a boxed design, so the threaded end (1 1/8" dia) needs to be at least 3 5/8" long, to allow length to pass through boxed frame, and room for nut. This would put the Pin overall length somewhere over 6".

/ How to convert Cat 2 Brush Hog for Cat 1 Tractor #22  
The 609 frame which holds the lower pins is a boxed design, so the threaded end (1 1/8" dia) needs to be at least 3 5/8" long, to allow length to pass through boxed frame, and room for nut. This would put the Pin overall length somewhere over 6".

I just ran into the same situation this week on a older IH sickle bar mower. The box frame was 2 1/2 thick and I could find nothing available with that long threads and still room for a nut and lock. I am putting a pin through and welding it on both sides of the box frame. Ken Sweet

I plan to remove the existing Cat 2 pins, bring them to a friend of mine, who can machine them to the correct length and diameter, which will align with my Cat 1 needs on the machined end, and fit the 609 exactly. (on the threaded end)

/ How to convert Cat 2 Brush Hog for Cat 1 Tractor #24  
They do make them, just don't know if it is long enough for what you need. I use them on my cat II blade and cat I tractor. I bought mine at a local tractor dealer, but here is the 7/8 pin and 1 1/8 thread at sloanex.

New Sloan Express

I built a cradle for the cutter this weekend. (2 4x4's, mounted to engine stand with dolly's) Removed the Pins. (man are those Cat 2 pins heavy duty)
Originally planned to have a friend machine them down to Cat 1 size. However, I decided to look again, at any suppliers that may have the extra threaded 1 1/8" length I need to pass through my JD609 frame mount. (need at least 3 5/8" length between collar, and end of threads) I just located Tractor Parts Inc., who appears to have a product (TP2032) that would provide the threaded end length. Sent a email this morning. If anyone from TBN has any experience with this parts vendor, would appreciate any feedback on their experience.

/ How to convert Cat 2 Brush Hog for Cat 1 Tractor #26  
Did you check your local TSC store? I know they have extra long Cat 1 threaded pins with two nuts to accomadate various thicknesses of material, but I'm not sure if they would be able to handle the 3-5/8" thickness you refer to. Obviously, you'd still have to slip a shim over the threaded portion to match the OD to the hole, but they sell those also. Finish it off with about a 2" extra-thick washer.

After my neighbor machined my CAT2 pins to CAT1 dimension, I Managed to get the JD609 attached. This was in the fall of last year. I am at the outer limit for my sway brackets. I then wound up the RPM's, and was very pleased with how smooth this older unit runs. I took it over some soft grass, then some small trees. WOW what a unit. The Power and sheer mass pulverizes anything you can push over. I am amazed and very respectful, of the power this brush hog has. One thing I need to figure out is how to attach safety chains to the PTO shaft cover. This PTO shaft cover is substantial. (heavy steel with poly/plastic underneath. (next to revolving shaft)

I am still trying to find 2 1/2" Open End Wrench, to correctly adjust the Slip Clutch, before this year's mowing starts. I also plan to run the unit, get the oil warm, and change it.

I also will be attaching the debris guards front and rear. (most likely will go with the less expensive rubber, since I have no need for the more expensive chains) All I need now is a large 3pt spreader; (to prep my crop plots with pelletized lime, and fertilizers) and cultivator/disc. (to work leaves/grass/manure/mulch into soil) I really appreciate all those that have contributed to help me out. I am amazed at the speed and force of these machines, when properly equipped.

Here is a close-up of the re-machined Cat2 pins on the JD609:

mail

This is my first picture I have attempted to insert into a note. (hope it works)
You can see the boxed frame portion of this pin is very large in diameter. It secures the boxed frame, and the 3pt arm. I could not find bushings long enough to span across the boxed frame. Using the original pin has allowed me to secure this with a solid "fit". (also cannot swap this pin to the inside, unless the boxed frame was re-machined. Diameter varies between outside and inside)

Another try at posting the pin close-up pic.

Attachments

• JD609 Pin.jpg
    JD609 Pin.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 398
   / How to convert Cat 2 Brush Hog for Cat 1 Tractor #30