How to crank a 5030?

/ How to crank a 5030? #1  

WannaNH

Tractor
NH TC30
I have sort of inherited a New Holland 5030. I own a TC30 and I roll the key back to get the glowplugs warmed up then roll it forward to crank it.
The 5030 only seems to have 2 key positions - crank and run.
So my question is - how do I crank a 5030? Is one of the unlabeled switches a glowplug switch?

Thanks!

/ How to crank a 5030? #2  
I have sort of inherited a New Holland 5030. I own a TC30 and I roll the key back to get the glowplugs warmed up then roll it forward to crank it.
The 5030 only seems to have 2 key positions - crank and run.
So my question is - how do I crank a 5030? Is one of the unlabeled switches a glowplug switch?

Thanks!
How to crank up 5030? Talk about EVs or DPF tractors. 🤣

/ How to crank a 5030? #3  
I'm guessing that there is no need to turn the key to the left to actuate the glow plugs. Just turn it slightly to the right. A yellow glow plug light will appear on the dash. When the light goes off, turn the key all the way to the right to engage the starter.

Last edited:
   / How to crank a 5030? #4  
I thought the ONLY 5030's were Kubota orange or faded to Mary Kay pink? I'll be dipped.

/ How to crank a 5030? #5  
Does your 5030 even have glow plugs?
Many of those do not.

/ How to crank a 5030? #6  
1708117016559.png

/ How to crank a 5030? #7  
1708117115158.png

/ How to crank a 5030? #8  

If this is what you have, it has no glow plugs or glow plug lights. Misinformation there. It MAY have a thermostart, as many Ford's were so equipped. If it has that feature, there will (or there was if someone installed an incorrect switch) be two positions on the key switch to the right of the "on" position. Both are spring loaded. first is heat, second is start. That's typical of most Ford tractors of that vintage. The engines usually start fine without the heater, but it does help in colder weather. If it has a thermostart it will be in the intake manifold near the air cleaner hose. Open the hood, swing out the battery and feel around on the manifold on the engine side and see what you find. It may have the heater or a plug threaded into the port.

/ How to crank a 5030? #9  
1708117931181.png

1708118071552.png

/ How to crank a 5030? #10  
Well, there you go. All the information on actuating the thermostart... but nothing about where it is or how it works.

Sometimes a thermostart will have it's own small tea-cup sized reservoir full of diesel fuel. That reservoir is filled either by a tap off the return line from injectors to fuel tank, or by manually filling it. In use, a few drops of diesel fuel is gravity fed from the reservoir down to the thermostart igniter.

It's not uncommon to have both thermostart and a 110v block heater.

Our JD has ether injection, I'd rather it had thermostart.
rScotty