How to cut a hollow tree?

/ How to cut a hollow tree? #21  
There is a big hollow tree on my property that has been dead for several years. I thought about cutting it down, but I think I will just let it fall down and hope noone is near it at that time. There is nothing that this tree can damage when it falls.

/ How to cut a hollow tree? #22  
Yes, I'll use a rope or cable and apply some pull at the same time, as insurance that it falls where it needs to. Just worried that a cable will increase the chances of a barberchair in a hollow tree situation. Thus, it seems a bore cut might be appropriate? I did read somewhere that a 10" hollow pipe with 1' walls is as strong as a 8" solid pipe. Same with a tree, you don't lose that much strength just cause it's hollow? Just wondering if it will hinge differently or if there's other considerations?

The rope/cable with too much tension can produce a serious kickback if you are not careful. Learning from experience can be a painful and costly lesson.

/ How to cut a hollow tree? #23  
I've played this game a couple of times. One mistake I made was pulling the tree the exact way I wanted to fall it. For one it falls the tree onto whatever you have pulling on it which means you need more cable or strong rope then the tree is tall. And second and more importantly if the tree pops and falls your way all the tension you have on it is lost faster then you can take up the slack and the rest of the fall is a random event out of your control. Better to be pulling it sideways to the notch away from the hazard to let the tension you put on it with your rigging guide it all the way from standing to Whump!!.

/ How to cut a hollow tree? #24  
Yeah Kid, it's not really that massive, it "Y's" into (2)-10"+/- diameter branches at about 10' up, above the hollow trunk part. I did consider dropping these upper "small Y's" first and then cutting the remaining "rather harmless" trunk later; but how to cut these branches that are 10' up? -Option 1) build/get some staging to stand on to get up to 10' -but who goes through that trouble? 2) Cut them off from a ladder with a helper pulling rope (this seems like bad idea as branch can take out ladder & you're standing on it w/ only 2 points of contact (feet) with two hands on the saw that's at head level, and you never cut at the right non-pinch angle - been there-done that (don't ask!) ), or 3) Put on my climbing spikes w/ a helper pulling rope (better than a ladder, but you still can't run away!)

Hmmm: I wonder if 4th option would use a "mortise & tenon" to stand on. - I'm sure there's a better official name: i.e. saw a mortise hole about 5' up and stick a 2" x 6"(or 8") wide plank in it to stand on. That way one could still jump and run if needed? I guess I need to check if the lower hollow part is wide enough to allow a deep enough "mortise" cut to do this. If not, alternative could be to drill (2) 1" holes about 6" apart and stick in a couple of rebars to stand on?

Yes, I'll use a rope or cable and apply some pull at the same time, as insurance that it falls where it needs to. Just worried that a cable will increase the chances of a barberchair in a hollow tree situation. Thus, it seems a bore cut might be appropriate? I did read somewhere that a 10" hollow pipe with 1' walls is as strong as a 8" solid pipe. Same with a tree, you don't lose that much strength just cause it's hollow? Just wondering if it will hinge differently or if there's other considerations?

If you have to ask questions like these, you're not qualified to do the job. There are standard ways of handling this situation. Professionals use them because other ways are dangerous and deadly. You don't know how to handle the situation and you don't have the equipment to do it right. Do us all a favor, and your loved ones and yourself too, and just hire it done by a professional. There are situations where an enthusiastic amateur (which I proudly admit to being!) can muddle through. This isn't one of them.

/ How to cut a hollow tree?
I've played this game a couple of times. ... And second and more importantly if the tree pops and falls your way all the tension you have on it is lost faster then you can take up the slack and the rest of the fall is a random event out of your control....Whump!!.

Yes I've played that game too! A static rope in tension soon becomes slack with no tension when you make that backcut and it falls where gravity takes it (until slack goes into tension again, and tree comes arcing around). (chalk it up as a learning experience- no harm-no foul, it was a small tree in an open field, I was just trying to keep it out of the pond!) Pulling has to be coordinated, and too much can cause a barberchair, that's why I think using a borecut to make the backcut is better. That is, if I don't cut it from the top down in sections. I'm thinking that with a partially hollow tree, there's just less hinge wood, so maybe leave the hinge a bit thicker.

Joshua: I don't have to ask anything. I'm just interested in hearing people's opinion, experience or perhaps clever ideas. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll even hear about these magical techniques only professionals can perform, or perhaps they would be too much for a mere mortal to comprehend.:laughing::confused2:

Last edited:
   / How to cut a hollow tree? #26  
If it is where it could come down on a building, I would take it down in sections (I might use a rope to pull on the sections if needed).
Too unpredictable with the hollow section at the base.

Aaron Z

/ How to cut a hollow tree? #27  
How to cut a hollow tree?

Use a hollow ground saw blade.

:)

Bruce

/ How to cut a hollow tree? #28  
If you have to ask questions like these, you're not qualified to do the job. There are standard ways of handling this situation. Professionals use them because other ways are dangerous and deadly. You don't know how to handle the situation and you don't have the equipment to do it right. Do us all a favor, and your loved ones and yourself too, and just hire it done by a professional. There are situations where an enthusiastic amateur (which I proudly admit to being!) can muddle through. This isn't one of them.

Absolutely.
Your sister is asking you to risk life & limb to save herself a few bucks.
Tell her to hire a pro. If it makes you feel better, help pay.