How To Cut Half Inch Steel?

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #11  
A snow plow cutting edge is hardened. It will ruin a bandsaw blade.

Well I didn't think of that. Then I would get the torch out.. that explains why he had no luck with the metal blade in the sawzall.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #12  
I would try .045 abrasive cutting wheels and see if you can etch a straight line across your mark...it should not take more than 2 disks to cut 5"'s of 1/2" hardened steel...if it etches a groove across the 5" stay with it and take your time to maintain the cut line and get the most out of the disks...if it is so hard that the disk wants to skate I would opt for a torch or plasma cutter...if the .045 wheel is ineffective it will be just as hard to grind smooth with an abrasive grinding disk... if it's that hard it may be easier to snap it off if you can make some control cuts at either edge... JMO...

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #14  
The cheapest and fastest method is going to be a grinder with a cut off disc. There are so many ways this could be done. There are definitely better ways than a grinder, given an unlimited budget. A 7 or 9" grinder with the correct disc will really shine in this application compared to a 4.5". It will take you a lot longer to read all the replies in this thread than it would to cut your steel with a 9" grinder.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel?
Wow, thanks for all the advice, so fast! I'll try the cut-off wheels in my 4 1/2" grinder. I just had regular grinding wheels, so I stopped at the hardware store and got one of every thickness and type of cutoff wheel they had that fit my grinder. Some are type 1 and some are type 27. Thicknesses .045", 080", 090", and 1/8". They're not that expensive, so if it takes a couple that would be okay. I hated to ruin that Sawzall blade right off the bat, though, with no results.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #16  
I would avoid using a band saw. Even if you did get blades that wouldn't dull it'll still take forever. A cut off wheel on your grinder would work but my guess is you'll go through a lot of them. I would call a few welders in the area and ask how much they would charge to cut it with a plasma cutter. You could find someone willing to do it at the end of the day for a 6 pack or for real cheap since it'll only take a few minutes to set up and cut it. Plus they could cut both ends so the holes don't end up in funky locations.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #17  
Wow, thanks for all the advice, so fast! I'll try the cut-off wheels in my 4 1/2" grinder. I just had regular grinding wheels, so I stopped at the hardware store and got one of every thickness and type of cutoff wheel they had that fit my grinder. Some are type 1 and some are type 27. Thicknesses .045", 080", 090", and 1/8". They're not that expensive, so if it takes a couple that would be okay. I hated to ruin that Sawzall blade right off the bat, though, with no results.

You might also want to buy/wear a dust mask. The abrasive wheel dust is tough on the lungs.

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #19  
I've been a steel worker for 42 years, 25 of those on my own. My first choice would be the Chop Saw. Second choice if my Chop Saw was down would be the hand grinder with cutting blade. Cutting edges are tool / hardened steel. All other ways will fail. Now everyone tell me I'm wrong................Frank

/ How To Cut Half Inch Steel? #20  
Should take about 3 minutes max with a grinder. You're way over thinking this.

Jeff