How to Fix a Slow Tire Leak

/ How to Fix a Slow Tire Leak #1  

TerryR

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 870
One of the front tires on my JD 870 has a slow leak. The fronts on the 870 are fairly small, R-1, but loaded.

I've not attempted to fix a tire since I patched an bicycle inner tube 40 years ago, so need some advice.

I've found the leak - a small pinhole in the middle of the tread, between the bars. When I park it with the leak down, it leaks liquid, and when it's parked with the leak up just air bubbles slowly coming up through the wet hole.

I think it's tubeless. I remember I bought tubes when I got new tires a few years back, but as I recall when the guy came out to install them he found the originals were tubeless and decided to install tubeless again. That seems to agree with the observation that as soon as I park with the hole up the water stops. How can I be sure?

Assuming it is tubeless, I'm thinking a plug would fix it. That right?

How hard is it for someone with no experience to install one? Does all the air pressure have to be released to do it? Can I leave the liquid in if I release the air pressure?

Last edited:
   / How to Fix a Slow Tire Leak #3  
One of the front tires on my JD 870 has a slow leak. The fronts on the 870 are fairly small, R-1, but loaded.

I've not attempted to fix a tire since I patched an bicycle inner tube 40 years ago, so need some advice.

Assuming it is tubeless, I'm thinking a plug would fix it. That right?

How hard is it for someone with no experience to install one? Does all the air pressure have to be released to do it? Can I leave the liquid in if I release the air pressure?
Just take the tire to a tire shop and have them fix it. Now that that's out of the way,what kind of job do you think I will do cutting my own hair the first time since I was 5 years old?

/ How to Fix a Slow Tire Leak
Just take the tire to a tire shop and have them fix it.

Good idea. But so far as I know, we don't have a tire shop in the county that will work with loaded tires.

/ How to Fix a Slow Tire Leak #6  
Make it a slightly bigger round hole so a plug can be pushed in. Don't pull it out any because you loading solution will weaken the seal. You might even try shooting some rubber cement into the tire with a horse needle and avoid the complications from a plug.

/ How to Fix a Slow Tire Leak #7  
Good idea. But so far as I know, we don't have a tire shop in the county that will work with loaded tires.
They don't work on them because they don't have training so that should tell you what chance a novice has in doing a proper repair. Similar to self inflected haircuts,botched tire repairs only make things worse. I suggest looking for farm tire shops and if all are too far away,make do as you have been until you need to go near one of the shops on another errand.

/ How to Fix a Slow Tire Leak
They don't work on them because they don't have training ....

No, they don't work on them because they don't have provision to collect the liquid if they have to dismount the tire, and don't want to bother with it.

/ How to Fix a Slow Tire Leak #9  
Your tire is leaking now. If you buy a plug kit, plug it and it still leaks, what are you out?

Buy a tire plug kit and use it.

/ How to Fix a Slow Tire Leak #10  
MY first though would be to drain the "juice", dismount the tire and dry it out, place conventional patch inside, and refill....

Dale