How to fix small leaks around drain plugs?

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs? #11  
Buy the real thing. That's too easy ehh. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs?
I assume that i need to remove the drain plug to put the washer or other fix on? How do i keep all the hydraulic fluid and oil from draining from the tractor while im doing this?

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs? #13  
Not trying to come across, wrong, and lord I seem to do it here.

But you do it with two people, and you hold your finger over the hole, and work quickly.

Try doing it on an aircraft fuel tank drain sometime that got stuck.

Or, you get a clean drain pan, drain into that and pour it back in.

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs? #14  
Put down a fish wrapper..Pull the plug and slap a cork in it.. install the seal on the plug at your leisure, and then get the plug flush with the pan next to the cork.. pop the cork out and screw fast. I bet you loose less than a cup of oil.

Soundguy

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs?
Thanks for the advice guys. AlanB I just woke up and read your post and got pretty tickled. Your directions could describe fixing a drain plug and, um......other things. LoL.

I'm gonna try to get this fixed this weekend. I just have to work around the wife's anniversary plans.

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs? #16  
Sometimes the copper seal ring on the plug falls off and you don't see it. The copper seal rings on the drain plug should seal it up. I bet that you lost it when you drained the oil.

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs? #17  
well as for keeping the oil in while changing the plug, one thing that my father showed me for changing fittings on 275 gallon heating oil tanks was to hook a shop vac to one of the filler openings and turn it on then you could do what you wanted with the fittings and the air just bubbled up thru, i have used this method a few times at work to change fittings on big hydraulic tanks on press brakes and punch presses

/ How to fix small leaks around drain plugs? #18  
A lot of these plugs on newer vehicles etc have a compression type metal gasket that must be replaced each time it is removed. You can get these from the dealer if your tractor uses them. They are cheap and usually leak after a time or two.